PDA

View Full Version : Old Engravelab re-install

Eddie Owen
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Help! Forgive me for first time blunders. Here's my problem, and hopefully someone can give me directions.

I have used the old engravelab pro for years...works great. I had to install a new hard drive, but I just can't get it to install on the new drive.

I have the original disks (it's been a long time!), and I tried to install from the CD and floppy (for registration), but, I get an error "Trial Version Expired, contact rep". Well, then I uninstalled it, and tried to reinstall it using the license number I had saved through the years that I had labeled: Permanent License Number. I still can't get it to work. There seems to be two different versions that installed. One that is the one I usually used on the old drive comes up as "Demonstration Version" and the info when I click "About Engravelab pro shows "installed modules: Engravelab, Braile, and Registered Version. The only thing is: that copy doesn't recognize the dongle as the last serial number isn't 0 like the info says it's supposed to show. The "serial number" shows to be correct (the same as the one when I go back to the old drive and look. It seems like this copy would work, but doesn't recognize the dongle. I tried to use the "hinstall -i" to force it to recognize the dongle....no luck!

I contacted tech support, and the effort was useless. They suggested I upgrade to a newer version. I only use this program to engraved some stainless steel tags for a customer I've had for years-and nothing else. It wouldn't be feasable to upgrade for just this one customer. It works fine-if I disconnect the new drive, and reconnect the old drive. I keep getting flaky stuff happening to the old drive, and I'm afraid that after all these years, the drive will be toast soon.

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks, Eddie.

Brian Elfert
06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
What about using Seagate Disc Wizard or similar to make an identical copy of the original disk to the new one?

Eddie Owen
06-12-2013, 3:52 PM
I have acronis....but I would have to transfer just stuff pertaining to Engravelab as the old hard drive has been in there probably 10 years, and I wanted to have a fresh install of XP and the stuff I really needed. I might have to do the image, but only if I have to. Can I just backup the necessary files for Engravelab and recover them? I tried to just copy the folder (it is an old dos program, I think) and all it's contents to the new drive by drag and drop. I appreciate your reply.

Mike Null
06-18-2013, 7:05 AM
You might find more assistance if you search the internet for SignLab transfers and re-installs. EngraveLab is a derivative of SignLab.

There is a sign forum (another site) that might be of help.

Chuck Stone
06-18-2013, 7:30 AM
I have acronis....but I would have to transfer just stuff pertaining to Engravelab as the old hard drive has been in there probably 10 years, and I wanted to have a fresh install of XP and the stuff I really needed. I might have to do the image, but only if I have to. .

You'll probably have to, unless you know every nook and cranny of Windows where Engravelab
might have stuffed itself.

Rodne Gold
06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
You tried copying the whole old engravelab directory over to the new drive and run the engravelab exe file...what happened , did it ask for a serial?

Nick Michalares
06-21-2013, 12:19 PM
The 0 at the end is not entered, it just indicates your software is registered correctly. If it does not show up, your license files may not be in there. There are 2 license files that may have to be copied to the Engravelab folder in order to work. Cadlink can tell you what they are called. I think they will still support you with license issues. You have to copy and paste these from the old program directory to the new one, I believe.