PDA

View Full Version : Doug Thompson vs Bill Grumbine 5/8" V bowl gouge

james bell
06-12-2013, 9:26 AM
I am looking for a 5/8" V-shaped bowl gouge and Doug Thompson's web site screwed me up by adding Bill's gouge to the mix. Too many choices cause confusion, at least to me!

Anyway, any comments and/or recommendations on which one to purchase. (Yes, I know Benjamin's Best has one for about 1/3 price - I have many of their tools and like them, but also have the 1/2" Thompson which I love.)

Prashun Patel
06-12-2013, 9:31 AM
I have the 5/8V Thompson. I love it. Nothing bad to say about it. Holds a fantastic edge. A year+ after having it, I'm finally learning how great a finishing cut it gives.

I'm going to bet you won't go wrong with either.

Dale Gillaspy
06-12-2013, 9:41 AM
I haven't used any of Bill's tools, so I can't speak to them, but I have Thompson's 1/2 and 5/8V Bowl gouges and love them. You can't go wrong.

John Keeton
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I would suggest you call Doug and speak with him, but from the information provided it seems the flute profile is the same, i.e., it is Doug's V profile. The "Bill Grumbine" signature gouge would simply seem to be a longer tool for extended reach.

Again, I don't know this, but that is what I glean from Doug's website.

Quinn McCarthy
06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I have the Bill Grumbine model. What a wonderful tool. It keeps an edge for a long time. I really love the weight of it.I bought a thompson handle to go with it. I have even used it for some segmented turning.

Quinn

Michael Stafford
06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Doug makes both tools and the Grumbine gouge is just a deluxe version for those of us with large turning muscles....

Steve Mawson
06-12-2013, 8:51 PM
Doug makes both tools and the Grumbine gouge is just a deluxe version for those of us with large turning muscles....
Larger turning muscle made me chuckle. I have the 1/2U and like it as well, makes the curlies fly!:cool:

William Bachtel
06-12-2013, 8:59 PM
Yes both are made by Doug. Bill likes a longer reach. Always talk to Doug he will give you the all the information you need.

james bell
06-13-2013, 8:04 AM
Since both are made by Doug (something I did not know) and both sold by him, should be a completely unbiased answer. Thanks for all the comments.

Michael Stafford
06-13-2013, 8:23 AM
James, I don't believe Doug is selling the Grumbine model. He is just making it and you have to buy it directly from Bill Grumbine. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought that those were the instructions on Doug's website.

John Keeton
06-13-2013, 8:39 AM
Mike, it appears one can buy from Doug. I placed one in my "cart" to see if that was possible.

Michael Stafford
06-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Mike, it appears one can buy from Doug. I placed one in my "cart" to see if that was possible.

That is interesting John as I was basing my statement on what I read on the page where it says "Bill Grumbine 5/8V CONTACT BILL GRUMBINE" which I took at face value and assumed it to mean that Bill sold them directly. I had not tried to purchase one from Doug's site so your information is good to know. Thanks for letting me know that.