PDA

View Full Version : does this seem like a reasonable move?

Lee Alkureishi
06-12-2013, 8:18 AM
Hi,

I'm in the (long) process of kitting out my small shop area, and am getting to the point where space is now an issue. I'm in a 2- car garage, and am trying to keep the capability to park at least one car in there. My machines line the walls, and are mostly mobile. These include:

1970 pm90 lathe
1974 unisaw with 54"rails / router in table
Home made bowl lathe
Home made 17"bandsaw (not by me!)
Dewalt 12" miter saw (not compound, not a slider)
No-name belt/disc sander
2 grinders
Welder/welding station
Air compressor

As you can tell, I'm running out of space!

My latest acquisition is a 70's craftsman RAS. After some reading, I figured out is one of the "good" ones with a cast iron arm. I bought it for peanuts with the intention of setting it up as a dedicated dado station, but now realize I don't have enough space to do that.

So, I'm thinking of selling the dewalt MS and replacing it with the RAS. It seems like the ras covers the same need and is more versatile. It doesn't need to be portable, and blade changes seem easier than on my unisaw.

I'm hoping to poll the group: is there a flaw in my logic? Is there any good reason to keep the MS over (or in addition to) the RAS? Is the dewalt not worth selling?

Thanks in advance!

Lee

david brum
06-12-2013, 8:39 AM
I replaced my sliding miter saw with a Dewalt RAS a few years ago. I have never missed the the miter saw in the shop. The RAS is much more quiet and (IMO) cuts better. I always hated the high pitched whine on the miter saw. The RAS is out of its depth on anything other than 90 or 45 degree cuts, though. For other angles, I'm fine with a good quality miter gauge on the table saw.

Having said all that, a miter saw is pretty nice to have for off site work where it needs to be portable, such as trim installation. I have an old miter saw that is tucked up on a shelf and rarely gets used. When I need it though, I need it.

Richard Coers
06-12-2013, 9:50 AM
Sell the radial arm saw, keep the Dewalt. Cutting crown or moulding on the RAS would be a pain, cross cut dadoes are easy on the table saw or with a guide and a router. Besides, if you have two lathes, you won't be doing a lot of flat work in the near future. Ask on the turning section and see if they agree with me. Lots of old "flat" woodworkers only turn now.

Lee Alkureishi
06-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Hmm.. What David said makes most sense to me... I don't cut much (any) trim/moulding at the moment, so that's not a big concern. I only really work in my wee garage, so portability is not a worry either.

Yes, I turn more than I do flat work! Well, I will at least, once I've finished making the bowl lathe!

Lee

Jeff Duncan
06-12-2013, 1:35 PM
I can't imagine getting rid of either:eek: The RAS does not really replace the miter saw....nor the other way around. They are both tools that have their place in a well equipped shop. Take the miter saw and stash it under a bench then set the RAS in a permanent location.

First time you do come across a small trim job, whether for a piece of furniture or a room.....you'll regret not having a good chop saw;)

good luck,
JeffD

Rick Potter
06-12-2013, 2:00 PM
Consider mounting the chop saw next to the RAS, same plane/same fence. It won't take up much space that way. Works for me.

Or, store the chop saw till you decide you really don't need it.

Rick Potter

Larry Fox
06-12-2013, 2:25 PM
No help on the original question but go vertical if you can on the compressor as it saves space. I did that with mine and was able to buy back a significant amount of floor space. If you can do that, you might have a no-decision to make on your original question.

Cary Falk
06-12-2013, 3:21 PM
I say keep the CMS. They are pretty easy to tuck away. They are great if you need portable. I loaned mine to my neighbor. He has had it for the last couple of years. I am about to redo my deck this summer and will need it. I'm not using my RAS on something like that. I have a lot of stuff on overhead storage racks.

Steve Peterson
06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I have approximately the same amount of equipment packed into one stall of a 3 car garage. I don't have the welder or air compressor, but I do have a planer, jointer, wide belt sander, and a dust collector. I put up a wall with a door, but it may be more efficient to use all the outer walls like you are doing. The enclosed space helps a lot to contain the dust.

At one time I had a cheap non-sliding 10" miter saw, router, and RAS along one wall. I upgraded the miter saw with a 12" Bosch gliding miter saw. It was the only miter saw that has a wide cutting depth but still fits on a narrow bench along a wall. I realized that the miter saw and table saw with a tenoning jig can do everything that the RAS can do. I got rid of the RAS and do not miss it.

Steve

Henry Kramer
06-13-2013, 2:14 PM
Going vertical with the air compressor as Larry Fox had suggested would help. Also, I see that you have two grinders. I don't know how they are mounted but if they are on benches maybe you could save some space by mounting them on a pedestal, the same pedestal back to back. I wouldn't get rid of the miter saw but I would use the RAS for general and production cross cuts and store the M/S. Maybe you could make a cabinet for the RAS and store the M/S under the RAS. just some things that I would look at.

Lee Alkureishi
06-13-2013, 2:30 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to realize the need (want) for both tools... Might have to make a proper cabinet for a stand, and either have them both side-by-side or on interchangeable box inserts...

Hmm...

Thanks for all the tips

Derek Arita
06-13-2013, 7:43 PM
Same boat here. I have a nice Delta 12" turret RAS and never use it. I use the heck out of my miter saw. As it is, the RAS is most accurate when left at 90*. That said, if you feel you still have the room, keep the old iron. If not, lose the RAS and keep the miter saw. $.02.