PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ryobi One Cordless

Roger Feeley
06-11-2013, 6:46 PM
My daughter just got married and I have been helping consolidate the two households. I live in Kansas City and they live in Washington DC. My new son-in law is not very mechanically inclined and is not likely to change. They live in a 1 bedroom condominium in downtown DC. In the coming years, they will probably move to the burbs but that's a ways off.

I have now shipped tools to and from DC three times so I can do various projects. Mostly what I need is a cordless drill for installation of things that I build and ship.

Looking ahead to the move, I am intrigued by the Ryobi One system where one battery will fit many cordless tools like string trimmers.

So, I want to know if Ryobi is total crap or just not up to the standards of this group. Would their cordless drill be good enough for me to do basic things around their house.

Second, what is the advantage of that impact driver that they keep pushing as part of some sort of package deal? I can't think of any reason I would want one, let alone them.

Jack Lemley
06-11-2013, 6:55 PM
I have used the system for years. Great for a hobbyist. I believe some contractors use them as well.

Jack

PS I was assuming the Lithium Ion version as that is what I have used

Ruperto Mendiones
06-11-2013, 7:21 PM
My Ryobi ni-cad drill got lightly used about 1-2x/month. After 12 months, battery wouldn't hold a charge. I suspect lithium batteries are much better. Currently I'm using a 12 volt drill & impact driver pair from DeWalt; At 2.5 years the babteries are holding up.

Art Mann
06-11-2013, 8:51 PM
I have used Ryobi One Plus cordless tools for several years and they work well. I have a drill, an impact driver, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw and even a small chain saw. As already stated, the problem is the batteries. Don't even think about buying the yellow ni-cads. They are ridiculously heavy and die quickly. Get the tools equipped with Lithium Ion batteries and they will work just fine. In the interst of full disclosure, I have switched to other brands in recent years but the old tools still work.

John Schweikert
06-11-2013, 9:02 PM
I still have the 5 piece Ryobi kit from a decade ago. The NiCd batteries died long ago. Moved on to the Lithium and those have been very hit and miss. I have owned 5 of the lithium batteries, the thicker ones with more power and only have 2 now that hold charges. I always write the date of purchase on any battery I buy with a sharpie so I know how long they last. The drill/driver has been a workhorse building 3 decks, 2 sheds, 2 playhouses along with countless smaller projects. The Ryobi cordless saw is hugely underpowered and can barely make a 2x4 crosscut without the blade stopping in the wood. The best recent Ryobi tool purchase has been an impact driver which works great. As long as the batteries keep working, I'll keep using the Ryobi tools I have. But I have been adding other brands now, a Bosch 12V driver. I still use a 14 year old Dewalt 12V drill/driver with a new battery. It's always helpful to have one with a drill bit, one for screws and even one for putting in lag screws side by side on a project.

The overwhelming majority of tools I buy now have cords. It may be more of a pain but the tools are more powerful, have little to no obsolescence and cut straighter, truer, drill tougher, use beefier blades and accessories.

Paul Wunder
06-11-2013, 9:23 PM
Ryobi is a cost effective solution for a hobbyist. Home Depot is running a Father's Day special of a Ryobi 18 volt drill plus an impact driver (two separate tools) along with a charger and two lithium ion batteries (much better than the older Ni-cads: All for $99.00

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=ryobi+cordless%20drill%20set&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2013, 9:27 PM
I dont use their "one" system, but Ive had one of their earlier cordless drills for a long time. I like it and its held up just fine for me.
Fred

Myk Rian
06-11-2013, 10:51 PM
I've had a one+ drill w/2 ni-cads, and a L-ion grass trimmer for several years now.
The better charger came with the trimmer, and is mounted on the garage wall. The batteries are all still good, and interchangeable between tools.
I keep the cheaper charger in the drill case, but have never used it.

Frank Trinkle
06-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I have a TON of One+ tools, and like other folks, the earlier batteries are sometimes suspect. That being said, I haven't had any problems with any batteries I've gotten with new Ryobi tools in the last year or two. They make a lot of unique tools in the family, not just mechanical work. I have their One+ string trimmer that works unexpectedly well, and the leaf blower has been a boon for my shop to use for blowing out sawdust and leaves. They have power caulking guns, trim saws, drills, and now even a One+ power nailer.
The drill has worked flawlessly for five years, and even the trim router is pretty effective for small jobs. I would recommend the system.

In fairness and in full disclosure though, I still have them all, but have been bitten by the Green bug, and am in the process of completely replacing most of my hand tools (Except the blower and trimmer!) with Festool machinery and tools. That is not due to any problem or dissapointment with the Ryobi's...just loving the German engineering. Ryobi is certainly more cost effective though!!

Jon Shank
06-12-2013, 7:06 AM
Pretty much the same story as everyone else. I have had the big 5 tool set for several years, 9 + if memory serves. I like the tools alot, a whole lot of bang for the buck. Granted, they are homeowner tools not construction grade, but they have served me well and I still have all of them, the 4 1/2" angle grinder, a second drill I bought just cause it was cheaper to get that with 2 lithium batteries and the new charger, and the string trimmer. The newer lithium drill is a little smaller, lighter and feels better in the hand so I use that now with the old one if I need say a drill bit in one and a driver in the other. The string trimmer was a pleasant surprise, for my small yard needs it is plenty and feels like a solid tool in your hands.

The Achilles heel is definitely the Ni-Cad batteries. They worked ok, but power got shorter and shorter. Of the 3 I had only 1 still functions at all and it's charge doesn't last long, enough to be sort of a stopgap while one of the lithium recharges but that's about it. When I bought that second lithium drill I got 2 of the smaller lithium batteries and the charger. The lithiums have worked perfectly for me and really made all the tools run better. The circular saw and sawzall always seemed nearly useless with the original batteries, with the new lithiums they are actually decent running tools now. The sawzall has done all kinds of work for me and the circular saw that I really thought was a joke before isn't great but is a useable tool now, 2x4s haven't been a problem although your not going to cut very many on 1 battery and it's even eaten it's way through a few2x10s for me. If I have to cut more than that I dig out the old corded skilsaw, or use the tablesaw. So the circular saw isn't great but it isn't useless anymore. Haven't had any problems with the lithium batteries yet but keep meaning to pick up a couple of the bigger ones for longer use. Just haven't really needed to yet. They are all compatible so picking up a used Ni-Cad tool kit that works for cheap and buying a lithium drill/driver kit like I did is a decent bet.

Jon

Bijesh Jacob
06-12-2013, 8:50 AM
I recently purchased the new Ryobi AirStream 18v brad nailer and while I have only used it for about a 100 nails - I am quite impressed. I am sure the Senco Fusion or the Dewalt would have worked - but this works well and I like the geek factor of a built in compressor.

There is a slight delay while nailing when the motor charges the built in compressor but nothing too bad. I was using it on Oak and was able to sink in the 1 1/4 nails quite easily - so I am happy with the first Ryobi tool that I purchased.

Charles Wiggins
06-12-2013, 9:21 AM
LOML gave me a Ryobi One 18v set for Christmas around 8-10 years ago. It came with with the drill, 5 ¼" circular saw, flashlight and radio (which I've never used). Soon after I bought the string trimmer and later the reciprocating saw. All are still in service and, except for the radio, have been very useful. I would not hesitate to buy another tool in the line if I needed it.

The drill should have bit the dust a long time ago with all I've put it through. I haven't bothered with my corded drill for years, even when I am drilling holes in concrete.

As others have said, the original NiCd battery that came with the kit was toast after a couple of years but I have since bought two Lithium ion replacements and could not be happier. They are lighter weight, charge faster, hold a charge much, much longer, run longer, and have a very flat power utilization curve, meaning that they don't lose much oomph until they are just about drained and ready to recharge. If you have two of those you will very rarely find yourself waiting for a battery to charge.

I have no experience with their impact driver, but apparently, from the description and the reviews it's the tool to have if you have to sink a lot of long screws fast.

Greg Cuetara
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Not sure that I can add too much to what has already been said but I picked up a ryobi kit about 8-10 years ago. Drill, circular saw, recip saw, light, dust buster etc. for around $100. The original yellow batteries lasted me quite a while around 5 years, bought replacements and they only went a few years. Recently I picked up a new ryobi li-ion drill with two batteries and the batteries go right into my old tools so now I have two drills that work really well. Also, just picked up a cordless string trimmer and that works really well with the li-ion batteries and so far i am very happy with everything. i would not hesitate to purchase again in the future. just remember any of the misc. tools just don't have the oomph like a corded version will. The circular saw was great when I was re-doing my cedar shingle siding but has trouble making it through a 2x4. They are what they are and they do well for that but I really like the drills and also the light that came in my old kit...very useful and lasts a long time on a battery charge if the power goes out.

loren forney
06-13-2013, 1:36 AM
I use the Craftsman 19.2V stuff and have for more than 5 years. It will turn the heads off the screws if you aren't careful. The impact driver is simply THE BEST TOOL EVER DESIGNED. You will never again strip the heads on long high number screws. The impact does not chew out the phillips head. It just drives. Great for deck sized screws.

I just use the ni-cad batteries and buy them on sale. In 8 years I have replaced 2 batteries.

Loren

Jim Rimmer
06-13-2013, 1:31 PM
For the type work you describe they would be fine. I bought the Ryobi 18V package probably 12 -13 years ago and am still using it (drill, small circ saw, recip saw & flashlight). I switched to the LiOn batteries when they came out. I use the drills mostly; bought a new one when it was cheaper to get the drill with the batteries than to buy the batteries separately. I have dropped them off step ladders and knocked them off the bench and they keep on going. As for the impact driver, the one I got can be switched out of impact mode and used as a regular drill. I got it to mount a flag pole holder on a brick wall. If it's switchable, why not - gives you an extra drill. Probably not the tools you wants for all day, heavy duty use but they are great for home repairs and projects.

Steve Keathley
06-13-2013, 4:25 PM
Nothing wrong with them. My only input is that if you already have another system (Makita, Dewalt, etc.) is that you stick with that. That way when you're done in DC you can just add it to your collection at home. I have a bunch of
Dewalt 18V tools I have collected over the years, and 8 18v batteries. Now I just buy the tool without the battery and charger and use my existing batteries. That saves you about 40% over the whole setup with battery and all.

Calvin Jamison
06-14-2013, 4:24 PM
Ryobi, for those who don't care about quality.

Craig Parks
06-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I use the Craftsman 19.2V stuff and have for more than 5 years. It will turn the heads off the screws if you aren't careful. The impact driver is simply THE BEST TOOL EVER DESIGNED. You will never again strip the heads on long high number screws. The impact does not chew out the phillips head. It just drives. Great for deck sized screws.

I just use the ni-cad batteries and buy them on sale. In 8 years I have replaced 2 batteries.

Loren

Same here. I've heard they're made in the same factory but not sure. I have the small circular saw, 2 drills, recip. saw, halogen spotlight, chainsaw, string trimmer and blower. I've been pleasantly surprised with all the C3 tools except the blower, bearing went out quick. Recently purchased a 1/2" C3 drill with 2 li-ion batteries for $99 mainly for the 2 batteries but the drill turned out better than my older one.

My brother has had excellent service out of his Ryobi cordless tools.