PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else here like ECE style German planes?

Chris Hachet
06-11-2013, 3:52 PM
I have the German ECE smoothing plane, bought it just after we got married 25 years ago...and today makes 25 for me and the Mrs. Love both the lady and the plane, couldn't imagine life without either one. I've noticed that a lot of reviewers haven't been that impressed with the ECE planes, but I love mine. Do any of you use them?

David Weaver
06-11-2013, 4:02 PM
I only have one, but I don't find getting it apart and back together as convenient as a stanley plane (as in not as fast, I don't care so much about convenience as speed). That's pretty much it. Otherwise, I really like a continential smoother design.

In the end, I like the muji incantations of the large continental smoother a little better because it's faster to get apart and put back togehter (and it's common pitch), even though in between those steps requires sharpening a gummy high speed steel iron, and the cap iron does require some work before it's ready to go.

If you have the non-primus version of ECE's smoother, then it's probably pretty much what muji based their plane on.

I use the muji a LOT. I leave it rank set for a very heavy smoother shaving and have a millers falls smoother set finer.

Peter Pedisich
06-11-2013, 4:16 PM
yup! https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qnBQfmAxqAQ/Ua_x722so9I/AAAAAAAACKM/oZGJXlah-24/s640/IMG_8353.JPG

Tony Shea
06-11-2013, 4:25 PM
Well, Peter doesn't much care for them does he? That is a solid collection of ECE planes there Peter.

I personally have never seen one in the wild. I've always been intrigued by them and their European design but just haven't had the opportunity to try one out.

The one on the top left of Peter's picture seems like it would leave awful tearout behind with such a low angle. Is it a toothing plane or just some sort of scraping or super high angle plane?

Chris Hachet
06-11-2013, 4:46 PM
yup! https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qnBQfmAxqAQ/Ua_x722so9I/AAAAAAAACKM/oZGJXlah-24/s640/IMG_8353.JPG
Worried about getting banned from Sawmill creek...thinking Very indecent thoughts after seeing this photograph. WOW...seeing this MADE my day...sorry for the over-enthusiasm but...ohmygosh...I am speechless...

Peter Pedisich
06-11-2013, 5:17 PM
Actually some are Ulmia, and not ECE. I prefer the Ulmia horn over the ECE. The irons sharpen up easily getting a wire edge quickly on waterstones. The laterl adjustment on the ECE Primus mechanism takes some getting used to. Also, the fore plane in the middle is a Mathieson.

Jim Matthews
06-11-2013, 8:27 PM
One of these planes is not like the others,
one of these planes does not belong.

Can you tell me which plane is not like the others,
before I finish my song?

I love wood body planes. Easy to adjust, not so fast to rust.
I'm a fan of the HNT Gordon planes from OZ but they're hideous expensive...

Peter Pedisich
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
One of these planes is not like the others,
one of these planes does not belong.

Can you tell me which plane is not like the others,
before I finish my song?

I love wood body planes. Easy to adjust, not so fast to rust.
I'm a fan of the HNT Gordon planes from OZ but they're hideous expensive...

The Primus 711 Smoother - all the others are wedged!

Ryan Baker
06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
I have two. I have a wedged smoother that is usually set for a pretty coarse cut. It works well enough, though I wouldn't trade any of my metal planes for it. I also have a large Primus jointer that was a gift. It mostly serves as decoration for my plane shelf. It's well built, but the mechanism is a bit odd, and I am not the biggest fan of the tote.

don wilwol
06-12-2013, 7:32 AM
I bought an Ulmia at a flea market just to flip it. It was brand new still in the box. It works so well, I never sold it. 264259

Chris Hachet
06-12-2013, 9:05 AM
Actually some are Ulmia, and not ECE. I prefer the Ulmia horn over the ECE. The irons sharpen up easily getting a wire edge quickly on waterstones. The laterl adjustment on the ECE Primus mechanism takes some getting used to. Also, the fore plane in the middle is a Mathieson.good to know, as I actually really enjoy wooden planes. I'll check out the Ulmia....

Maurice Ungaro
06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Chris,
There's an ECE Scrub plane for sale in the Classified section!

David Paulsen
06-14-2013, 4:39 AM
Here in Denmark those wooden, horned planes, are everywhere and very cheap. They are nice planes, and often with very good steel (eskilstuna/berg - swedish quality steel). It's funny as well, in my experience, is that the wooden planes hold up over time just as well, or even better than the metal planes.

But I think that they are a bit too uncomfortable for squaring up a board. That kind of rough work requires a handle in my body's opinion. But as a smoother they work just as fine as the best.

Chris, I actually have one standing that I don't use, and have been feeling sorry for. It isn't set up, and I haven't sold it because I can't get anything for it in Denmark... So it just stands on my shelve. I had contemplated making it into a chamfer plane (adding small fences underneath) but also thought it was a shame to do with such a nice plane. I can take some pictures of it. And if you like it, and the shipping isn't horrendous I can ship it to you, - no charge of course. Would make me happy if someone would use it to cut some real shavings.

Peter Pedisich
06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Here in Denmark those wooden, horned planes, are everywhere and very cheap. They are nice planes, and often with very good steel (eskilstuna/berg - swedish quality steel). It's funny as well, in my experience, is that the wooden planes hold up over time just as well, or even better than the metal planes.

But I think that they are a bit too uncomfortable for squaring up a board. That kind of rough work requires a handle in my body's opinion. But as a smoother they work just as fine as the best.

Chris, I actually have one standing that I don't use, and have been feeling sorry for. It isn't set up, and I haven't sold it because I can't get anything for it in Denmark... So it just stands on my shelve. I had contemplated making it into a chamfer plane (adding small fences underneath) but also thought it was a shame to do with such a nice plane. I can take some pictures of it. And if you like it, and the shipping isn't horrendous I can ship it to you, - no charge of course. Would make me happy if someone would use it to cut some real shavings. David, Do you happen to know anything about this plane from Denmark, marked JPBO TOPPS (as you said it has a EA Berg iron)? Thanks for any help... I'm tring to find a lever cap for it. -Pete https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jsTduwa5ja0/Ua_xo0l7D5I/AAAAAAAACKM/tz7JOmIlpzs/s640/IMG_8347.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2cLx0YS_gQw/Ua_xpU3HIDI/AAAAAAAACKM/zqF_MlECBrs/s640/IMG_8348.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3JGmDtige5Y/Ua_x3f-fm6I/AAAAAAAACKM/F9Vs9jQujDI/s640/IMG_8352.JPG https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-X_thgqOLJVE/Ua_xyeJwqiI/AAAAAAAACKM/MXLSqTCupkA/s640/IMG_8351.JPG

David Paulsen
06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Peter, I must admit that I can't tell you much about it, except, a JPBO plane is considered some of the finest you can own of these kind of old wooden planes here in scandinavia... But I see them all the time and know what kind of lever cap it's in need off.
Is it very hard to come by in your parts? Should I try and see if I can track something down for you?

David Paulsen
06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Peter, this is the kind you seek right? 264374

Terry Beadle
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I have the jack plane and it's a very good plane. Easy to adjust the cut and the blade is good steel. Not A2 but close. Good a blade as the Clifton I think.
It is a jack but ala David Charlesworth, set up for smoothing cut, works great. It's also light weight compared to a metal plane of similar length. So it's easy on the plane-ing shoulder.

HNT Gorden jack is similar but a bit better, but higher priced but not by much.

Chris Hachet
06-14-2013, 1:59 PM
I have the jack plane and it's a very good plane. Easy to adjust the cut and the blade is good steel. Not A2 but close. Good a blade as the Clifton I think.
It is a jack but ala David Charlesworth, set up for smoothing cut, works great. It's also light weight compared to a metal plane of similar length. So it's easy on the plane-ing shoulder.

HNT Gorden jack is similar but a bit better, but higher priced but not by much.Actually good to know this works well as a Jack plane also, as I am debating between ECE style and Lie Nielson for a new jack plane for myself. I've got once chance at a little bit of summer overtime, and want to spend my $ carefully....

Peter Pedisich
06-14-2013, 2:04 PM
Peter, this is the kind you seek right? 264374 David, thank you ! this is almost like it... I have a picture of it at home I can post later tonight. I'll send you a PM.

Chris Hachet
06-14-2013, 4:31 PM

Chris, I actually have one standing that I don't use, and have been feeling sorry for. It isn't set up, and I haven't sold it because I can't get anything for it in Denmark... So it just stands on my shelve. I had contemplated making it into a chamfer plane (adding small fences underneath) but also thought it was a shame to do with such a nice plane. I can take some pictures of it. And if you like it, and the shipping isn't horrendous I can ship it to you, - no charge of course. Would make me happy if someone would use it to cut some real shavings.
I can put it to work making shavings if your serious. PM me and I will send postage in advance if you can tell me roughly how much. thanks!

Jack Curtis
06-14-2013, 6:02 PM
I really like ece planes; but I found them at about the same time as Japanese planes, to which nothing else compares well. I once used a Primus smoother, it did a great job, but I never got that sheen that the Japanese smoothers offered. I still use an ece mid sized jointer, about 22", since I've never found anything better in that size, and like it quite a bit; although it's a bit of a chore to replace the blade after sharpening.

Chris Hachet
06-14-2013, 6:06 PM
I really like ece planes; but I found them at about the same time as Japanese planes, to which nothing else compares well. I once used a Primus smoother, it did a great job, but I never got that sheen that the Japanese smoothers offered. I still use an ece mid sized jointer, about 22", since I've never found anything better in that size, and like it quite a bit; although it's a bit of a chore to replace the blade after sharpening.

Agree that blade replacement after sharpening is a royal pain...so you really like the jointer...hmmm..