PDA

View Full Version : Black Marble Tile Pic

Keith Outten
05-20-2005, 6:22 AM
Something I have been working on lately, the picture below is a black marble tile that is much brighter due to a process I have been testing on the tile Northwind Associates is shipping. The photo has not been enhanced or lightened. The results so far are a much brighter engraving.

Both of these tiles were engraved on my 35 watt machine at a speed of 27 and a power setting of 75 and 600 DPI. Comments are appreciated.

George M. Perzel
05-20-2005, 7:40 AM
Hi Keith;
Beautiful work as usual-awesome contrast. Is it the tile or your process which makes the difference? I'm sure everyone is anxious to hear more detail.
Great job!!!
George

Pete Simmons
05-20-2005, 7:51 AM
Speed 27 Power 75 dpi 600 35 watt.
No special process but it works great. Anxious to hear what additional steps Keith does.

My customers love it. I do also!

http://www.laserimagearts.com/images/gallery/JasonBaby.jpg

Keith Outten
05-20-2005, 8:48 AM
George,

The tile is from the same source I have always used, the difference is a coating I have been applying to the surface to enhance the burn. The last batch of tile that Pete purchased from me was treated with the same coating, that is why his engraving is so similar to mine in brightness and contrast. I am still doing some testing to determine how long a shelf life the coating has before it would have to be refreshed if at all before engraving.

I just received a new shipment of 100 tiles yesterday, twenty of the tiles are black granite so I will be experimenting with granite this week to see if my coating will work as well.

Barbara Sample
05-20-2005, 2:35 PM
Hi,
I have been engraving photos on marble and granite, and would like to know what type of coating that you are using. I have found that with 12 x 12 tiles and cut into 6x6 peices. I get the best results on that. I have used Laserbits, and also lasersketch marble, and have noticed that they do not come out as white, but are gray in color. I love the way the other ones come out, but do not like finishing the edges after we cut them. Are you using a black absolute tile, or are you getting them prefinished somewhere. I appreciate your feedback and help

Thanks
Barbara

Keith Outten
05-20-2005, 4:18 PM
Barbara,

I purchase black marble and black granite from Color-Stone International in 12" squares. I have always been satisfied with Color-Stones's tile but the coating I have been experimenting with does in fact make a big difference in brightness and contrast. Since Northwind Associates is now providing tile to engravers I don't think it would be in our best interest to give away our little trade secret to our competitors who also sell tile.

Since so many engravers don't have the capability of cutting their own tiles we decided that we would provide this service and of course we are always looking to improve on our products. I must admit that this is a new service for us but based on recent sales our tile is becoming very popular. Since I am an engraver I have a pretty good insight concerning what engravers want to purchase and the quality necessary to be profitable.

Northwind Associates is also gearing up to provide sign blanks, plaques and acrylic materials. Visit the link below for black marble pricing information.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17652