PDA

View Full Version : SawStop -Jessem Sliding Table Mods

Randy Gillard
06-11-2013, 1:20 PM
I finished re-arranging the saw to accomodate the Jessem slider I got off Kijiji ( a Canadian online classifieds site).
It was brand new in the box, but there was a significant quality issue with it. Turns out the sliding table was warped in the area circled.

Subsequent internet googling showed this was a problem during a certain period with these sliders. The effect was that if you leveled the front edge of the slider to the table saw, the back end was 1/8" low. After much fussing, cussing, and fiddling I came to this realization and, since I couldn't return it to the Kijiji store, I clamped that edge in the vise and gave it the old heave ho. It straightened up nicely, and slides smoothly and cuts square.

I couldn't bring myself to cut the fence rails so I moved them over to the right. I went from 36" rip capacity to 50". Nice bonus. I re-used the left cast iron extension wing by just moving it to the right side. It takes up a bit more room in the shop, but I shuffled things around and the net impact was pretty small. I had to cut some new slots in the rails for the mitre gauge slots - jigsaw made short work of that. Of course I drilled one of the bolt holes wrong. Never fails.
I have to cut some mitre slots in the outfeed table, get some black paint for it and the bare steel exposed on the fence rail during drilling and cutting. I am also going to build a structure under the right side to better support the extension (it is supported on the overarm guard for now) and provide some storage space.
I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Mark Carlson
06-11-2013, 2:06 PM
My 1st jessem slider has warped. The 2nd was fine. I still love mine.

Bob Falk
06-11-2013, 3:18 PM
I bought a new-in-box Jessem off of Craigslist a few years ago and I also did a lot of swearing trying to set up the slider. After many frustrating hours of adjusting and readjusting, I determined that it had rollers that had been improperly machined and would not roll level over the range of travel. I complained to Jessem and they replaced the roller assembly and it has worked fine since. I like this slider as it allows the use of a mobile base. bob