PDA

View Full Version : For Those Using Incra 1000 Mitre

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2005, 1:33 AM
I have the Incra 1000 SE mitre jig. Couple questions, nothing in the material refers to adjusting the way the jig sits on the table or the fence sits on the table rather. Should the fence sit flat on the table. I guess I am worried about it scratching the cast iron surface or if it should be adjusted to the table in anyway. I made the lateral adjustments to clear the blade, that is about the only adjustments it calls for on the fence.
Also, when you push your jig back and forth ( it slide pretty easily) it makes sort of a whirring noise. Do you guys get this? Doesn't appear to be scratching or anything. It's a different feel than the stock Delta miter bar that came with the Delta CS. Appreciate any info you can offer.
Thanks as always,
Corey

Richard Niemiec
05-20-2005, 8:02 AM
I put a folded piece of paper under both sides of the fence when I tighten it down, keeping the fence just above the table.

Shannon Grizzell
05-20-2005, 8:43 AM
Hi Corey,

I'm new to SMC (I've been lurking for a few weeks), and thought I'd finally jump in (on something I might know a little about).:D

I have a Miter 5000 sled, so the fench on the table is not an issue here. The whirring sound you mention, however, I attribute to the nylon spacers sliding against the side of the miter slot. The sides of the miter slot on my saw have milling mark which run vertically, contributing to the distinct sound.

IMHO, the Incra has a solid feel and it's light years ahead of the stock gauge that came with my TS.

Hope that helps.

Jim Becker
05-20-2005, 9:33 AM
IMHO, the fence riding on the table gives stability. If it happens to scratch the table slightly, it matters not to me. I get far more scratches from other things...such as stupidity! Both my Incra miter fence and the OEM miter bar get used on my system, so I can't really account for which "marks" the saw more.

Chip Olson
05-20-2005, 4:34 PM
The miter gauge fence is an aluminum extrusion, right? If your table is cast iron, aluminum won't scratch it.

Corey Hallagan
05-20-2005, 4:40 PM
Shannon, I wasn't sure if the noise came from the nylon expandable inserts or from the material on the base of the protractor. I am not so much worried about little scratches as gouges but that shouldn't happen I guess. It's a totally different feel.

Jim, how do you use your miter guages.. rather what ops do you use one for and not the other... just curious. I don't dislike my Delta miter guage, it is worlds better than the one that was on my Craftsman saw that I used for years.

Thanks,
Corey

P.S. welcome to SMC Shannon!

Shannon Grizzell
05-20-2005, 7:51 PM
The assembly instructions for the Miter 5000 require that miter bar be adjusted before the rest of the gauge is assembled. So I've worked the bar through the slot without anything else attached. For me, it began making the sound as I adjusted the spacers to come in contact with the slot.

With respect to the fence, Chip is correct. Aluminum is much softer that cast iron, so it shouldn't gouge the table surface.

Hoa Dinh
05-20-2005, 8:02 PM
I applied a piece of 3/4" wide Slick Strip (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=902) along the trailing edge of the fence. This allows the fence to rest on the TS top while sliding smoothly. Also, the leading edge of the fence is raised up a bit, clearing the sawdust on the TS.

I also have an MDF subfence attached to the aluminum fence. The subfence is raised about 1/16" above the TS top.

I don't notice any whirring noise. It may be there, but is suppressed by the noise from the TS.