PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry goblet - prepping for a demo

Roger Chandler
06-10-2013, 9:15 PM
I have 3 upcoming demos........two in August ......one on finials, and one on finishing with General Finishes Wood Turners Finish [WTF] and another in September on goblets with ornate stems/pedestals. I will make a several and take along a couple already turned and use them to show different styles.

After our last show & tell when I took that tall apple/Walnut goblet, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203545-Fruits-amp-Nuts-tall-goblet&highlight= I got an email and an invitation to do a demo on goblets as it was one of the requested demos by club members as they put their preferences on the survey sheet from our club president.

I took a little time this afternoon to get started making one........I wanted the features to be bold on this one as far as size, so I did not go for thin or delicate on purpose..........but it is very proportional, even though it is not fragile.

This is a piece of Hackberry that I acquired last year, and did not know what I was going to do with it...........so it got called up for duty on this series of goblets I am going to do. I have only turned one other piece of hackberry, so I have a question.......

Is this blackish/brownish staining normal on hackberry? It did not have any mold or any such thing on it, but it did have a strip of bark on one side.........perhaps the staining is from the cambium layer under the bark? Any ideas about this?

Dennis Ford
06-10-2013, 9:32 PM
Nice goblet! I like the burned line near the top and the shape.
Hackberry is prone to blue-stain and spalts readily.

Robert Henrickson
06-10-2013, 9:35 PM
This is a piece of Hackberry that I acquired last year, and did not know what I was going to do with it...........so it got called up for duty on this series of goblets I am going to do. I have only turned one other piece of hackberry, so I have a question.......

Is this blackish/brownish staining normal on hackberry? It did not have any mold or any such thing on it, but it did have a strip of bark on one side.........perhaps the staining is from the cambium layer under the bark? Any ideas about this?

Most likely it is slight spalting. In my experience, any hackberry that has sat around for more than a couple months spalts on its own -- often spectacularly -- especially if left in a sizable chunk (sealed or unsealed, with or without bark left).

Roger Chandler
06-10-2013, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the info on hackberry, Dennis and Robert!

Mike Lipke
06-11-2013, 8:37 AM
Brown stains? Oh yes.
Pretty wood, but I am always dealing with cracks, as it it very prone. My wife calls it CrackBerry.

Roger Chandler
06-11-2013, 8:44 AM
Brown stains? Oh yes.
Pretty wood, but I am always dealing with cracks, as it it very prone. My wife calls it CrackBerry.

I was not aware of this characteristic of hackberry...........one thing I had going on this particular piece was that it came from a stash of wood another turner who was selling off all his equipment had.........it was fairly dry.......likely had been in his shop several years in the state I received it in.

Michelle Rich
06-11-2013, 10:06 AM
have fun at your demo

Jon Nuckles
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice goblet, Roger. My son has been requesting one, and I may have to give it a go.

Hackberry definitely has been crackberry for me. Not one piece of a decent sized batch survived drying, using methods that have been pretty successful with my other green wood. It was all from one tree, so it may have been an unusual one.

Roger Chandler
06-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Nice goblet, Roger. My son has been requesting one, and I may have to give it a go.

Hackberry definitely has been crackberry for me. Not one piece of a decent sized batch survived drying, using methods that have been pretty successful with my other green wood. It was all from one tree, so it may have been an unusual one.

Thanks Jon.........I sure hope this one is stable..........I believe it is, anyway!

Roger Chandler
06-13-2013, 10:30 PM
have fun at your demo

Thanks Michelle! Sorry for the delay in responding.......I must have overlooked your post :o I may have gotten myself in too deep with 3 demos in a month's time! :eek: