PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a LN block plane

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2013, 8:32 PM
Kept thinking about recent posts suggesting that us newbies get one really good plane so we know how a properly tuned plane should work and feel.

I needed (OK! WANTED) a low angle block, anyway. I have a regular Stanley block that I bought from a box store and tuned. I love that little thing. Its what got me interested in hand tools to begin with. The LN also comes with an A2 blade, so Ill learn more about sharpening harder steels, too. So it will be fun to compare the LN.

Would have preferred to buy a 4 1/2 smoother, but that seemed excessive at my current skill level. Especially when I have a pretty nice Miller Falls #9. So Ill try the $95 fixed mouth block.

Keep you posted.
Fred

Chris Griggs
06-10-2013, 8:43 PM
Excellent!!!

Steve Friedman
06-10-2013, 8:55 PM
So Ill try the $95 fixed mouth block.
That plane forced me to learn what sharp is. The mouth is very small and I had a hard time with it until I learned what a sharp blade looked like. It's now the first block plane I grab for without fail.

Steve

Jeff Morton
06-10-2013, 9:47 PM
Sounds like you got the 102I low-angle block plane. You will love it! Small enough to fit in your shop apron, the 102 is my go-to plane for chamfering and end grain. Enjoy and welcome to the slippery slope of hand tool purchases.

Adam Cruea
06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Good choice.

I wish I'd have dropped the cash on my 60 1/2 I got a little earlier. It's just the right size to fit in the palm of your hand, cuts endgrain well, and chamfers nicely, too. :cool: