PDA

View Full Version : Hearing aid help

Bob Rufener
06-10-2013, 7:04 PM
I finally went and got my hearing checked. I have had tinnitus for 20-30 years and I know there is no help for it. I have difficulty with background noise and female voices (especially my wife's although she claims it is selective hearing:-)). The test showed normal hearing at the lower pitches but high pitches are a problem. Of course, they wanted to sell me hearing aids on the spot. I got a little sticker shock when the cheaper model was $4500 for both ears and the higher level models were close to $8,000. Whew!!!! I am on the medicare advantage plan so there are some hearing benefits with it. I am wondering if any members have had experiences-positive or negative-with United Health Care providers for hearing aids. I have to feel that they are less expensive than the models quoted but I don't want to get junk either. Any help is appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2013, 7:38 PM
Bob,

I am deaf.

My right ear tested at 6% the last time it was tested with the HA. I lost the hearing in it about 13 years ago. The ENT at that time didn't recommend a HA as the residual hearing in that ear is terribly distorted. My left ear still had normal hearing at that time.

July 8, 2010 I awoke deaf. My left ear had died in my sleep. Two audiologists at 2 different clinics in two different cities and states couldn't get any audio through that left ear. With my right ear so bad, I qualified for a cochlear implant. For over 40 years I worked with some seriously sophisticated electronics. Because of superior techniology, I elected to wait for an American company's CI to be reapproved by the FDA and reinstated on the US market following a self-imposed recall. My surgeon prescribed the most powerful hearing aid made for my right ear. The cost of the HA at that time was $3500 for one ear. My company was insured by United Healthcare at that time. I am still with United Healthcare. Plan coverage varies by the plan each company purchases. So I might by plan from UHC and it covers $1,000 and you might buy a plan from them that covers all. The plan my employer had covered $2,000 on mine IIRC.

My surgeon prescribed a "Phonak Naida V Up" hearing aid. Here's the catch. He is partners at clinic in Spokane, WA. I live 110 miles away in Lewiston, ID. He wrote prescription and advised me to purchase it locally in Lewiston as it would be easier for the follow up visits and maintenance after the sale. In short about twice a year I have to have the tubing replaced. The clinic where I bought it is my regular ENT and is located about 1/2 mile from my home. The surgeon had nothing to gain financially by prescribing that brand and model. Phonak is the largest HA company in the world. They bought Advanced Bionics who is American company who manufactures my CI. Both Phonak and Advanced Bionics are reputable companies.

I could not function with just the HA. I had to carry a notepad and pencil or a whiteboard to communicate.

After my dead left ear was implanted I had to wait for 5 weeks before the clinic would activate the implant. 2 days before I was activated my BIL and his daughter were visiting us. I was to be activated on the following Tuesday. I got so frustrated because I couldn't hear or understand him with the HA and he wears a full beard, so I couldn't read his lips. He kept using his forefingers to form the letter "T" while he said slowly "Tuesday"....indicating when my implant would be activated.

I do well now with my CI but I also wear the HA on my right ear. For certain high frequencies, the HA does provide a sense of directionality. I can sometimes tell from what direction a siren is sounding or a bird chirping.

When my hearing aid needs tubing replacement, I drop it off at the ENT offices. I am able and do function quite well using just the CI. I cannot function with just the HA.

Good luck resolving your hearing issues! Being deaf isn't much fun!

Michael Weber
06-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Bob, I have 42 years of experience wearing hearing aids. My only advice is to go to an ENT clinic that has a REAL audiologist (dr of audiology)and proper sound booth, not a hearing aid dispenser. For one thing you will be tested by someone knowledgable about different types and causes of hearing loss. And more likely to recommend an aid from a manufacturer that fits your type of loss. A lot of dispensers sell only one brand. Further there are places that operate as hearing aid sellers that assemble there own aids from components. I would avoid such places. Granted, there is some follow up care involved with hearing aids but it's my opinion that hearing aid sales is a license to print money and the business model is booming now due to a variety of reasons. Though I have no proof of such, you may get a better price from a real ENT clinic. Last time I went to a non medical dispenser, I was told they had 3 price points. All their aids sold for one of three prices ( 3500, 4500 or 5500 dollars). In many cases the prices were for the same physical aid, just with different features enabled by the programmer. Like Ken, my loss now exceeds limits of correctability by aids and I am scheduled for choclear implant surgery July 18. I can second Ken's comment that hearing loss is no fun at best and potentially fraught with social and other difficulties. Get the best care you can. Talk to a real audiologist. They may be able to provide help with the tinnitus.
Edited to say also that even with insurance you may need to pay in full for the aids. Dispenses may say they will file insurance but may be less than 100 percent committed to do so. They may not follow up on a denial of claim, etc DAMHIKT. They already have their money. You may also need a doctors referral to successfully file a claim. I think an actual ENT medical facility will more likely have people that will handle the paperwork and do follow up on the claim. You will have to excuse my cynical opinion of dispensers, just been my personal experience and unfortunately some are comfortable with taking advantage of people. Rant off

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree with Michael's recommendations. Buy the hearing aid from a clinic involved with a medical practice, ENT and a audiologist with a doctorate in audiology. Don't buy it from a hearing aid dispenser!

There are a lot of theories about what causes tinnitus. Newer studies and theories are released almost daily. I hang out at a sponsored website for CI users where Michael recognized me. The two biggest things that people have reported that seemed to help reduce tinnitus, are reduced salt intake and reduced stress levels.

When I awoke deaf nearly 3 years ago, I had terrible tinnitus in that ear 24x7. It sounded like a male singer, say Vic Damone, holding the last note in one of his songs.....24x7. I heard that for about 8 weeks after I became deaf. I was amazed by the guys lung capacity as he never stopped for a breath.

Going deaf had immediate effects on our social life. Here in this blue collar community, its a common tradition that friends and family go out for dinner on Friday night after work/school. If a restaurant isn't swamped on Friday night here, it won't make it. A group of friends including my wife and I went out for dinner nearly every Friday night. My wife and I stopped going with them shortly after I became deaf as even with the HA, I couldn't understand what was being said so it became impossible to enjoy the situation. Now with my cochlear implant, I do well, quite well in noisy situations!

Good luck with your HA and your journey to better hearing!

Gordon Eyre
06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I have suffered from tinnitus my entire life so I empathize with you. As I have aged my hearing had become worse and I am nearly deaf in my right ear and poor in my left. Still I can function pretty well in social situations as long as it is not too noisy. My wife has a high voice and I have difficulty hearing her real well. I do best when I can look at the person talking. I went to an ENT and was prescribed behind the ear aids by a doctor. I have programmable aids made by Resound (designed by AT&T Labs) but they still drive me nuts and I do not wear them. I have had them reprogrammed on several occassions but I just do not like the cacophony of noises that I am not used to hearing and so they reside in my dresser drawer, for me they were a complete waste of money and I just "limp" along with my poor hearing. I have United Health Care and they paid a portion of the cost of my aids but I still had to pay quite a bit out of pocket.

David Weaver
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
... I have difficulty hearing her real well....

Many are jealous to hear of this, Gordon. Many.

David G Baker
06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a ringing in my ears once in a while but don't know if it is actually tinnitus. My chiropractor does an adjustment on my ears and the ringing goes away for months. When it comes back I get another adjustment. It has been 2 years since I had my last adjustment. My hearing aids cost me $3,300. I don't wear them as often as I should so I loose out on some conversations and curse myself for not wearing them. I have awesome hearing on the low frequencies but I loose the high frequencies at around Hertz I believe. We have a very high pitched smoke alarm that I can't hear unless I am in very close proximity to it. The steam from our shower sets it off and my SWMBO starts screaming at me to stop the noise. Insurance did not pay anything toward mine. I agree with Ken and Michael.

Gordon Eyre
06-11-2013, 1:23 PM
Many are jealous to hear of this, Gordon. Many.

I hear you. :D

Mel Fulks
06-11-2013, 1:31 PM
David, has cured you! I knew he was smart.

Michael Weber
06-11-2013, 1:36 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Fitzgerald;2119585]
When my hearing aid needs tubing replacement, I drop it off at the ENT offices.
QUOTE]

Ken, your clinic can sell you the pre-bent tubing so it can be replaced at home. I've been doing that for years. Use to make my own from a roll of small tubing I purchased for that purpose. Used a heat gun to warm the tubing so it would keep it's shape after cooling. Decided that's not worth it. Recently purchased a bunch of preformed tubes off ebay. I find there is no real reason to glue the tubing in the ear mold as it quite a tight fit and never comes out. You might not know that the preformed tubes are available in slightly different OD's to assure a tight fit.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2013, 2:16 PM
Michael,

They charge me nothing to replace the tubing since I bought my HA there. Often I drop it off and pick it up that afternoon. Sometimes it's there overnight if the audiologist is busy.

Matt Marsh
06-11-2013, 6:00 PM
Bob, I'm no expert when it comes to hearing aids, all I can do is relay my experience with mine. I have about an 80% loss in both ears, attributable to both genetics and environment. I got my first set last October, and for me it was life changing. I hate taking them out at night. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

I did a bit of research online for a few months, and decided that the ones I wanted had to have Bluetooth technology so that I could link to my cell phone, TV, computer, etc. I decided to go with the Phonak brand. They also had three price points of $3500-$4500-$5500. At the time I bought mine, they were offering a package that supplied a 3-year supply of batteries, pre-shaped tubes, and included a Bluetooth bolo called a com pilot, and a TV link at no additional charge with the $5500 models. Since my insurance paid for a portion, I went that route (Blue Cross, Blue Shield of Minnesota). Mine are the Ambra H2O models. The audiologist's claim is that sound quality and the ability to separate sounds improves with the price. Again, I have no experience with other models to prove that, but I can tell you that mine are awesome.

You also have the option to program these so that you can choose different modes, directing the microphones front, right, rear, left, or surround. These options are handy, but they are controlled by a big button on the bolo. I kept bumping it when I was working, so I had them program out the options. Another plus with these is that they are water resistant, and have guaranteed replacement if you forget them on and step into the shower. Also a good deal if you're a sweaty guy like me! ;-)

I can hear the birds and frogs again!!! :D

Brian Elfert
06-11-2013, 7:40 PM
Man, I never realized how expensive hearing aids can be! I figured they cost maybe $2,000 on high end, not $5,500. My father just mentioned my mother will be getting hearing aids and he will probably be getting them soon also.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2013, 7:57 PM
Brian,

A lot of it depends on what options you with it.

But they aren't cheap. Most major brands come with a 3 year warrantee.

Price a cochlear implant to find out how expensive "hearing" can be.