PDA

View Full Version : Basket Weave Bowl

John Beaver
06-10-2013, 6:45 PM
2.5 x 10 Maple / Walnut

Still a working title. I'll take suggestions on what to call it.

Every now and then I turn a practice bowl to see how thin I can turn; so I had a few pieces to try this technique on. Good thing because I broke 3 before I figured how to cut it safely. The bowl is turned to about 1/8" to accommodate the bending, and weighs under 4oz.

Still has a little sanding work left, but I wanted to get feedback.

C&C's please.

Jim Silva
06-10-2013, 7:13 PM
Nice job John!
I like the elevated ribs. Is that dark "rim" one piece?
I'd imagine lifting the ribs to insert that rim would be a bit nerve wracking lol.

If this is the first one I'd be interested so see what the forces that the ribs impart on the rim and shape of the bowl will do over time.
Very cool piece.

Jim

Josh Bowman
06-10-2013, 7:52 PM
John, another example of you unique creativity! Great idea, and if looks wonderful

Richard Madden
06-10-2013, 8:19 PM
That's cool, John! What keeps the walnut ring from popping out of it's place?

Curt Fuller
06-10-2013, 8:38 PM
Now that is really cool!

Thom Sturgill
06-10-2013, 8:45 PM
That's cool, John! What keeps the walnut ring from popping out of it's place?

I was wondering the same. It looks like there might be a 'slight' notch, but at 1/8" wall thickness it would have to be slight.

Doug Herzberg
06-10-2013, 9:35 PM
John, that is wonderful.

Steve Mawson
06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Quite the unique piece. Looks like it will be time for another class the way you are creating!!

John Beaver
06-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Nice job John!
I like the elevated ribs. Is that dark "rim" one piece?
I'd imagine lifting the ribs to insert that rim would be a bit nerve wracking lol.

If this is the first one I'd be interested so see what the forces that the ribs impart on the rim and shape of the bowl will do over time.
Very cool piece.

Jim

Jim, I actually did split the rim and glue it back together to get over the top. Still a real challenge.
Because the ribs are so thin and delicate, there is very little tension at the top, and the band is thin enough itself, where I'm pretty confident it will hold it's shape fine. The hardest part was getting the angles on the band correct to match the shape of the bowl - and then parting the band with out breaking it.

As far as holding the band in place, there is a tiny dab of epoxy on each rib at the band. I wanted to notch it, but then the notches would have shown on the outside of the ribs. I won't give away all my tricks yet, but the clamping was a really clever solution.

Eric Holmquist
06-12-2013, 5:19 AM
Beautiful piece, very creative! I always look forward to your unique ideas.

Eric Gourieux
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Another great, creative piece! When I see you post one of your creations, the first thing I think is, "Oh, boy. What has he done this time?" I appreciate your creativity and skill.

Prashun Patel
06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Jeez, John. Just when I thought you couldn't top yourself.

Jim Underwood
06-13-2013, 3:03 PM
Another original... I like it!

Doug W Swanson
06-13-2013, 11:23 PM
John,
That is really cool. Is it going to surpass your wave bowls now?

I think it looks like a sunflower...

jwjerry w kowalski
06-14-2013, 3:16 PM
Really nice John and how creative, a real innovative piece, what a cool idea.

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
That is just cool and very creative.