PDA

View Full Version : a different kind of segmented bowl

David A. Peterson
06-10-2013, 4:58 PM
start with a board: glue strips of wood to it. make sure they have gone through the jointer and planer so everything is flat and square with no gaps. the center board comes first, with matching boards (both width and type) glued to opposite sides of the board, let dry, then jointer the outside edge, then add another two boards (on opposite sides), repeat. plan on about 3 days to do all that (watching glue dry!). I used the jointer to have a flat surface to glue against the main board, then after the glue dried, jointer the outside edge before the next (jointered) edge is glued). This way...no lose of fingertips!

next step:
measure the width of the board. that is how long you cut each board, so when you are done, you have 4 perfect squares:

next step: glue one board to the next (not all at once), alternating directions for each layer. if you glue it up all at once, when you clamp it, it will slide all over like "cat $hit on a moonbeam" (an old Danish expression from my grandfather) and it won't be square when you finish.

then, glue up a top and bottom layer of walnut. If my board was longer, I could have made 6 squares and would not have had to use the walnut. it just has to be a repeating number of layers. i thought it would look good with walnut on the top and bottom to highlight the walnut strips that were 1/4" wide (see above).

next: cut it round on the bandsaw then mount it on the lathe. it looks like the narrow walnut strips all are running in the same direction (below) but two are going vertical, and two are going horizontal (internally inside that big block). You will also notice that the left side has a thicker layer of walnut. I was thinking a shorty pedestal or foot. when I got to turning, it did not look right, and was 'bottom heavy' as compared to the top rim, so it became a faceplate and I cut it off about an inch down.

next:
turn the outside (I stopped when the pattern looked good!)

finish by sanding from 120 up to 2000 grit, gradual through all the inbetween stages. plan on about 3 hours. then, put about 3 coats of finish on it...wait for each coat to dry.

next:

hollow the inside: I drilled a hole about an inch in diameter down the middle, just until i hit walnut at the bottom. that way, i knew how far to go. then, it is just peeling the onion, about a millimeter at a time.
notice the small indent on the base: I marked it with a parting tool. it is about 1/2 way between the foot and the first stripe. I decided that the bottom walnut looked 'bottom heavy', so I decided to cut it to match the top walnut rim.

the inside: all that is left is the sanding:

and...then i had to part it off the bottom, sand it (slightly concave so it does not get 'tippy' and then take it through the sandpaper layers. AND.....the reveal!

The wood used is walnut, cherry, flame box elder, and spalted maple.

Dave Peterson (new guy here! - my second post!)

Kyle Hayes
06-10-2013, 5:10 PM
This is awesome.....GREAT JOB! :D

Robert McGowen
06-10-2013, 5:11 PM
The end result looks good. It sounds like a lot of work though!

l hope it stays together. All of those joints running across the grain usually ends up in a problem with the joints staying together.

Dennis Nagle
06-10-2013, 6:03 PM
That is beautiful!

John Beaver
06-10-2013, 7:02 PM
David, I think you have a nice looking bowl and a fun technique. I have some concern about the different grain directions and the longevity of the joints. When building constructed bowls, it's important to have the grain running as consistently as possible. I hope it holds up for you.

David A. Peterson
06-10-2013, 7:13 PM
I used Titebond III to do the glue-up and I hope it holds up too! I don't think I will try to make another one, but wanted to give it a try to see if it would work.

Pat Scott
06-11-2013, 9:41 AM
I think it will hold with no problems. Your bowl reminded me of two items that I made years ago. I made the 17" Cherry platter in 2011, and the 15.5" Silver Maple shallow bowl in 2009. The pieces are glued perpendicular to each other, and years later both are just fine and every joint is still as tight as they were when made. I used Titebond III as well.

Careful when sanding the outside with the inside still solid. If you generate too much heat from sanding, that heat has no where to go and can create heat checks. If you hollow first and then sand, heat can dissipate.

If you don't mind me correcting your terminology, it's "joint the outside edge", not jointer.
let dry, then jointer the outside edge

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Really nice bowl. I agree with Robert and John about cross grain gluing.

Kathy Marshall
06-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Nice job Dave and welcome to the Creek!
Lots going on with the different grains and colors, looks great!

David A. Peterson
06-12-2013, 2:25 PM
Just a clarification: the glued areas were not end grain and have a long distance that is glued on the cross grain. I am hoping it holds up, but so far, no problems.