PDA

View Full Version : HDU Sign Backing Material

John Hollaway
06-10-2013, 4:47 PM
Recently I began an 8 ft. long by 2 ft. wide outdoor sign using 1 inch, 15 pound density HDU. This is my first experience with HDU. While this sign will be wall mounted, I still want to stiffen it up with some backing material, but not plywood. Recommendations please?

Thanks,

John

Joe Pelonio
06-10-2013, 8:12 PM
Though it's not cheap $150 4x8), I would use 3mm Dibond or the equivalent, the material that has a PVC core and thin aluminum on both sides. You will only need half a sheet but will likely find use for the rest. The stuff lasts forever, and you can easily cut shapes with a CNC. Some sign supplies now stock a cheaper Chinese version such as alucobond which I have seen for $110. :eek:

Paul Phillips
06-13-2013, 3:03 PM
What Joe said, but next time you might consider going to a higher density so you don't have that problem, it is more expensive but then you don't have to add the cost of going back and adding another material to it. I prefer the 20lb and 30lb, I understand though that you can't always get the customer that's willing to pay but, I keep some samples of the 15lb and 30lb to show them (there's a huge difference) and they usually realize the benefit of the denser material, it's great stuff when you can get the right job for it.