PDA

View Full Version : New Compressor !!

Dave Winters
06-10-2013, 2:15 PM
Not really a gloat, but I just bought what I'm hoping is the last compressor I'll need. Replacing my Porter Cable on which I went through two pumps.
It's a Saylor Beall. Cast iron head, disc valves, etc.

Here's my question: Is there any wisdom to keeping my old compressor's tank in line with the new one... more capacity, and might it serve to cool down the air a bit??

Thanks in advance..

Ed Labadie
06-10-2013, 2:29 PM
Congrats! I've had mine for around 28 years now, Saylor-Beall makes an excellent product. The company is 30 miles from me. I recently had to replace the motor on mine, paid for it at the dealer and picked it up at the factory. Other than the motor, only routine maintaince has ever been done.

IMO, I wouldn't mess with running the 2 tanks together.

Ed

Rick Fisher
06-11-2013, 2:11 AM
Saylor-Beall .. Very cool .. One of the few truly American made compressors left .. Great choice of machine.. probably the last compressor you will buy ..

Jim Neeley
06-11-2013, 3:38 AM
Dave,

If the tank is still good and you have the room, the second tank will give you more reserve capacity, decreasing the frequency the motor starts and stops. Within reason, this is a good thing.

Having two 30 gallon tanks is approximately equal to having a single 60 gallon tank. If your compressor can't keep up with your max use (such as when spraying), it will provide the capacity to let you use the tool for a longer period before waiting for the compressor to catch up.

All told, it is a positive.

Jim in Alaska

Dave Winters
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Would it also serve as a cooler/dryer as well?

Scott T Smith
06-13-2013, 7:43 PM
Dave,

If the tank is still good and you have the room, the second tank will give you more reserve capacity, decreasing the frequency the motor starts and stops. Within reason, this is a good thing.

Having two 30 gallon tanks is approximately equal to having a single 60 gallon tank. If your compressor can't keep up with your max use (such as when spraying), it will provide the capacity to let you use the tool for a longer period before waiting for the compressor to catch up.

All told, it is a positive.

Jim in Alaska

+1. I would definitely go with two tanks if it were me (I use dual tanks on my small portable compressors too).

It won't do much for cooling, other than to reduce the frequency with which your compressor cycles and thus perhaps offer a small benefit.

David C. Roseman
06-14-2013, 8:13 AM
Here's my question: Is there any wisdom to keeping my old compressor's tank in line with the new one... more capacity, and might it serve to cool down the air a bit??

Thanks in advance..

I think this depends on how you use the compressor. If you normally leave it aired up for repeated use during the day, having the second tank, it's a great idea, IMO. It will reduce cycling of your pump (less cycling > less heat generated, less noise, less electricity) and allow a bit more time for newly-compressed air to cool down (helpful if you're spraying a finish). Negatives are that it will significantly increase the initial run time before you reach full pressure, and when you're finished, you'll have two petcocks to open for moisture release. So, if you're like me and only need compressed air once in awhile, and then drain the tank when you're finished, it might turn out to be more of a nuisance. I have three compressors: 60 gallon, 20 gallon and a little Porter Cable portable twin tank. Most of the time, the littlest one is the quickest and easiest to reach for. :)

David