PDA

View Full Version : finish for antiqued brass door handle

Brian Tymchak
06-10-2013, 8:22 AM
Morning all,

Well, I've decided that I'm going to refinish the exterior side of the front door this Fall. As part of that job, I want to refinish the antiqued brass hardware that I installed when I moved in 9 years ago. It was a typical set from Lowes. Not the cheapest they had (it was ~$150) but it's certainly not fine brass you would find on a fine older home. I assume it was lacquered finished from the factory but it has weathered away and tarnished. I've never tackled this kind of job. Can anyone provide any insight on what to do, product(s) to use, etc? Or maybe it's going to take so much time to do and the risk of doing a less-than-acceptable job is high and in the end it's easier to go buy new hardware?

Thanks for any advice,
Brian

Shawn Pixley
06-10-2013, 1:28 PM
It should be pretty easy. First mask off all of the working portions. I would try oven cleaner to remove the remaining finsh. I used this when stripping brass beds. If that doesn't work use a chemical stripper. I would polish the clean brass with Neverdull. Laquer over the visble surfaces as desired. If you want the antique brass look, you will need to use a glaze below the lacquer and / or tinted lacquer.

Brian Tymchak
06-10-2013, 3:50 PM
Thanks for the info Shawn. I'll pick up some Nevr Dull. ...Nevr heard of it.. :) Has some glowing reviews on Amazon and other forums. Do you have recommendations for the glaze or tinted lacquer? Is this something I can pick up at the local BORG or are these specialty items? The only product I'm getting in searches is this Rustoleum (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=30&sid=7275830)spray, which I guess is basically a paint.

Appreciate the help,
Thanks, Brian

Shawn Pixley
06-11-2013, 1:47 AM
I am not the best person to gove advice on the glaze or lacquer toner as I don't particularly care for antiqued brass. That said, I would try to mix acrylic paint (raw umber, yellow ochre, and glaze medium) or oil based paint (there may be glazes made specifically for this) and wipe / rag / brush it over the hardware. I would likely use an amber lacquer over the top. You might be able to find an antiquing spray paint. Spray it on and wipe partially off while wet. Cover it with lacquer.

I suppose the other way would be to stip it, clean / polish it followed by a mild acid to darken the brass before lacquering it.

phil harold
06-11-2013, 7:03 AM
I want to refinish the antiqued brass hardware
Strip and let it age normally in another 7 years or so it will be lookin like real old brass hardware...

Brian Tymchak
06-11-2013, 6:35 PM
Thanks Shawn. I'll take your advice and do some experimenting this summer. I figure I can't make it any worse than it is and can always start over if I don't like what I get.

Phil, I considered that and if I knew I was staying here for a while, I probably would do that. But, I'm thinking of putting the house on the market next year. (Was actually considering it for this summer, but couldn't get it market-ready in time.) So, I figured I'd try to get back to the original finish assuming I could do something easily.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Orion Henderson
06-13-2013, 3:00 PM
Gun bluing solution is an alternate way to antique the brass once it is stripped. You should be able to just rub it on.

If it is too chalky after just rub it with a little mineral oil to bring out the brown color. To lacquer or not to lacquer-that is the question...in the hardware business.

Jamie Schmitz
06-14-2013, 12:12 AM
If you do go the lacquer finish route do be aware that there are specific types of lacquer for brass.
http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2021214/25928/BEHLEN-BRASS-LACQUER-13OZ.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CM6A6YbY4rcCFaU5QgodlGYA8g

Brian Tymchak
06-14-2013, 7:54 AM
Orion, Jamie, good stuff! I did not know of either of these tips. Thanks for the info!