PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting a lathe lighting support structure

Eric Gourieux
06-09-2013, 11:49 PM
There have been a lot of posts regarding lathe lighting, but I've not seen anyone comment on the pros and cons of attaching the support structure to the lathe vs an independent, self-supporting frame. I am in the process of relocating my lathe in my shop and will be building a new support structure for my dust collection and lighting. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding attaching the support structure to the lathe vs building a separate base for the support? Once I decide on a final location, I'll be bolting the lathe to the floor. In the previous location, my lathe was bolted and was steady as a rock. Once I get it bolted down, I don't think vibration will be an issue for the lights if the structure is attached to the lathe. One advantage to attaching to the lathe is that it will be easier to clean the shop if there is not a separate base. Can anyone think of a reason NOT to attach to the lathe?

In the pics below, I have a temporary beam running parallel with the ways. At this point, I am experimenting with the height of the beam. Sorry for the busy pics. As I mentioned, my shop is in disarray.

I'll post info about the vase that is on the lathe once I'm done with it. No, its not an atom bomb.

Brian Libby
06-10-2013, 6:51 AM
Should not be a problem-Oneway has there lights attached to the lathe.

Thom Sturgill
06-10-2013, 6:58 AM
My lights are attached to the lathe. I have a Jet 1642 with a sliding head and a bracket that was designed for a protective cage. I have a piece of channel welded to a rod that mounts into that bracket. magnetic base lamps set on the channel while a 'big gulp' dust hood hangs from it. Move with the head an provides minimal obstruction (that banjo does occasionally hit the big gulp). Since the bracket is designed for the system it is outside of the radius of the largest turning the lathe will hold. On the other hand, I can remove it if required for clearance of the steady.

Michael Stafford
06-10-2013, 7:52 AM
One of the first things I did was buy a light stand that mounted to my lathe from Oneway. I don't have a Oneway lathe but Oneway makes custom light stands to fit almost any lathe. They are not cheap, in fact they are very well made and allow you to mount 2 Moffatt style lamps on a pivoting frame and the entire frame can pivot so that lights can be positioned optimally for almost any turning situation.

Here is the link: http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=2

Eric Gourieux
06-10-2013, 8:50 AM
Brian, Thom and Michael, thanks for your input. That helps a lot.

Jeff Gilfor
06-10-2013, 8:53 AM
In addition to having two double T4 fluorescent hanging lamps above my lathe, I have two magnetically mounted LED lights that I purchased for $10 each from Ikea. Simply epoxied a magnet onto the base of each. They are goose-neck, and are easily positioned where I want them and can be aimed into vessels easily as well. When I rebuilt my shop, one of the many things I did was to add MUCH more overhead lighting. My wife thinks I should wear my sunglasses in there. I found that you can never have too much light.

joe marra
06-10-2013, 9:46 AM
Do you know what model Ikea light? Thanks

Dwight Rutherford
06-10-2013, 1:15 PM
I don't know which lights Jeff uses but the Ikea lights were a hot topic on various turner forums about a year ago. The ones I have are Ikea#201.696.58. They come in three colors black, silver and pink. They work very well. The on off switch is a weak spot. I have my switches wrapped in small baggies to protect them from the dust in my shop.
Do you know what model Ikea light? Thanks

Jeff Gilfor
06-10-2013, 2:06 PM
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/jansjo-led-work-lamp__0098927_PE240312_S4.JPGJANSJÖLED work lamp, black
$9.99

The price reflects selected options
Article Number:

Uses LEDs, which consumes up to 80% less energy and last 20 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Read more (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/)

Size
24"

And yes, the switches suck! Easily replaced though. They also make an identical model with a clip instead of a stand base. Costs a few bucks more, mut may be more convenient for some.

Dennis Nagle
06-10-2013, 2:08 PM
I think either way would work well. Those Ikea lights work really well and the guys around here put magnets in the base so they can place them wherever they want when needed. I like your light bar but I turn on both sides of my lathe so it would get in the way for me.

Ikea light link

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/#

joe marra
06-10-2013, 2:11 PM
Thank you all.

Brian Kent
06-10-2013, 2:31 PM
In addition to having two double T4 fluorescent hanging lamps above my lathe, I have two magnetically mounted LED lights that I purchased for $10 each from Ikea. Simply epoxied a magnet onto the base of each. They are goose-neck, and are easily positioned where I want them and can be aimed into vessels easily as well. When I rebuilt my shop, one of the many things I did was to add MUCH more overhead lighting. My wife thinks I should wear my sunglasses in there. I found that you can never have too much light.

Jeff, while I like the idea of LED's do they give any significant amount of light in today's stage of advancement?

Thom Sturgill
06-10-2013, 3:01 PM
CSUSA carries a nice lamp that is much brighter than the IKEA (I have 2 IKEA, and agree about the switch)

Its about $70 and the base is not real strong, it the light is. Also a heavier goose neck. My IKEA have gotten to where they will not stay put, but they are 2 and 3 years old..

Richard Jones
06-10-2013, 3:46 PM
Lights, hood, etc., attached to headstock of 1642, so everything moves if it moves. The Big Gulp can be slid front to back and swiveled.

Grant Wilkinson
06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I have two moffat lamps on my vega. One is simply stuck onto the headstock using the supplied magnetic base. The other is mounted to an articulating arm that I made using hardwood, steel plates and rollerblade bearings. Between the arms and the goose neck of the moffat lamp, I can position it to shine pretty much anywhere I want, either looking down onto the piece or shining into it horizontally.

Reed Gray
06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I keep one Moffatt lamp with a magnetic base on my headstock, and have a full spectrum bulb in it. The 2 foot bendable arm will put it anywhere I need it. I also keep a full spectrum floor lamp near by, but keep it out of the line of fire. Nothing directly overhead because I know better, and have lost more than one light bulb that way. Besides, the wet stuff coming off my bowls coats them with some thing that doesn't want to come off. Here is my floor/therapy lamp. It is amazing what I can see with this one that I can't see with standard lighting. Spectrum is as import, or even more important to what you can see than just brightness. Yes, they are spendy, but worth it. They used to advertise on the back of Woodturning Design. They don't seem to strobe like some of the florescent bulbs do. Ott lamps are another. Any quilter or needle point person knows all about this type of bulb.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/black_floor_lamp_6_prd1.htm

robo hippy