PDA

View Full Version : Router Edge Guide to Trammel Conversion

Wes Bischel
05-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Help!
I recently saw a short note on taking the PC 42690 router edge guide and making a few modifications to make it a circle trammel guide. Now I just can't remember where I saw it!

Any ideas where this is posted/printed? I've searched around this site and others, and looked through my magazines, but can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wes

Mark Singer
05-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I just attach a thin plywood base and a radius point .....and make a circle..

Norman Hitt
05-20-2005, 1:51 AM
I just attach a thin plywood base and a radius point .....and make a circle..

I don't even "Attach" the base to my router anymore, I just drill a 1" hole in a piece of 1/2" MDF or plywood, and then put a 1" brass guide on my router and set it down in the hole in the plywood base, measure out the distance needed and drill a guide pin hole. with the base not "Attached to the Router", I don't have to change positions, or change positions with my hands as I cut the circle, because the brass guide just rotates in the plywood base's hole as I move it around the cut and I can hold the router by both handles all the way around the circle cut.

Both methods work, but this method just seems easier to me than matching the base holes and mounting it to the router, (I'm not "LAZY", just "Frugal" with extra effort). :D :D

Mark Singer
05-20-2005, 7:40 AM
Norman,

That is a great idea! will use it next time...

Jeff Sudmeier
05-20-2005, 8:39 AM
Norman,

That is a WONDERFUL idea! I have never thought of that. I too will be keeping that in mind for the next time!

Wes Bischel
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, the idea was to have the fine adjustment similar to some of the more expensive fixtures on the market. I figured since I received the edge guide as part of the PC router package, I could put it to good use on an upcoming project that needs some fine tuning. I'll keep looking.

Norman, I like your idea as well - a real time saver and easier to manage the router around the whole circle. Thanks for the tip.

Wes

Norman Hitt
05-21-2005, 3:21 AM
Mark, Jeff and Wes, as much as I would like to take Credit for the idea, I really can't. I saw it about 3 years ago on "The Router Workshop", but it really works well, and as stated is a time saver, not having to take the trammel off and remount the regular base plate every time you want to use the router for something besides cutting circles. I do like to use a Guide that is about 1/2" deep to give a more solid connection in the trammel hole, with no fear of it "Popping out" and ruining the cut. I have intended to make a Good one out of Lexan and put a slot in it so I can slide the Guide Pin in or out to vary the radius, and even put a Fine Adjustment feature on it, but just haven't got that far down on my to do list yet. I hope this works for you folks as well as it has for me.

Scott D Johnson
06-07-2005, 2:54 PM
I believe you saw it on page 20 of the December 2004 (Volume 28, Number 6) Woodworkers Journal Magazine.

Wes Bischel
06-08-2005, 3:23 PM
Thank you Scott. That explains a great deal. I thought I was going nuts - went through every magazine I had two or three times. I guess I saw it while waiting for LOML at the bookstore! :rolleyes:

After looking at the guide, it kinda became self evident how to do it. Now I just have to make the time to get back into the shop and do it.

Thanks again, Wes

Scott D Johnson
06-08-2005, 7:06 PM
I would scan a copy of the page and post it, but I imagine the site moderator's would interpret that as "copyright" infringement.
For the benefit of others that have this guide, the diagram basically says to "remove the three flathead screws holding the edge guide shoe put a short 10-24 threaded rod in the center hole. This can then be used as a pivot point". You know have a circle cutting attachment with micrometer adjustment.

Don Baer
06-08-2005, 7:15 PM
I ran across this for cutting circles. Maybe it will help.

http://www.efalk.org/falk/Router/

Wes Bischel
06-08-2005, 11:38 PM
"You now have a circle cutting attachment with micrometer adjustment."

That's exactly why I wanted to make it up. I have a couple of displays I'm making using round convex glass. The new glass I just purchased is uniform, but I have some older glass that is slightly different from piece to piece. I figure the fine adjustment would be helpful for "fitting" the old pieces into the frames. Otherwise, the other fixtures that have been mentioned here would work great.

Once I actually thought about it and took a good look at the guide - well let's just say it was one of those DOH! moments. :o It's pretty obvious what they did.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

Wes