PDA

View Full Version : Acacia bowl with feet

Kathy Marshall
06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Today, after spending some time working on a non-turning project, I snuck in some time on the lathe.
So I turned this little acacia bowl and was reminded why I like turning acacia so much.
After turning the bowl, I reversed it with a jam chuck and then partially finished the bottom, leaving a stub so I could re-center it after carving the feet. I carved the feet using my Foredom with the reciprocal handpiece and chisel and then remounted it an turned off the little tenon stub. After sanding the bottom, I ebonized the band below the rim and then carved the grooves on the band and on the rim with my Foredom tool and a carbide cutter.

It's 8" x 3 1/2" and finished with antique oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Baxter Smith
06-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Nice shape out of some very pretty wood Kathy. There is a lot going on with this one. I like all the parts, but I am trying to figure out if there is one too many around the rim. A lot seems to be competing for my attention there.

Eric Gourieux
06-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Kathy, I'm beginning to be able to recognize you style when I see it. The form is great and the wood has a lot of interest, too. I'm in agreement with Baxter that the rim looks "busy". I think that, along with the varied colors in the wood, that the ebonizing and carving may actually add too much. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, since I really like your work - your ebo-carving. Maybe just one of the two would have been enough with this particular wood. Keep up the GREAT work.

Michelle Rich
06-10-2013, 6:22 AM
I like the carving & coloring in the light areas of the bowl, but not in the dark areas..dunno why. That wood is indeed super

Bob Bergstrom
06-10-2013, 8:27 AM
Lots of good ideas all in one beautiful little piece. Always enjoy what you can do with many species of wood and applying your skills in bringing out the best in them. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy Marshall
06-10-2013, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!