PDA

View Full Version : My verision of Norm Abram's Deluxe Router Station

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2013, 9:53 PM
Pardon these pictures. They were taken with my cell phone. We leave later this week on a trip and my wife has already packed her two digital cameras and the video camera.

Here's my version of Norm's Deluxe Router Station. It was made out of scrap red oak plywood and white oak left over from previous projects. I varied from Norm's version slightly. I reversed the position of the 3 bottom drawers. The big one on the left instead of the right and the two smaller ones on the right.

I also used T-track instead of routing T-slots. The table top is made of doubled, screwed and glued MDF for a final thickness of 1 1/2". I laminated the table top and the working faces of the fence with formica.

Installed is a Woodpeckers PRL-V2 and a PC 7518, 3 1/4hp router.

It's not my best work but it's certainly will be much better than what I have been using.

BobW Robinson
06-10-2013, 5:57 AM
Very nice Ken. I made mine about 5 years ago but cheated a little. I purchased a ready made table with fence. If you have not had a router table before this you are going to notice a big difference when doing your routing.

Curt Harms
06-10-2013, 8:25 AM
Looks pretty good to me, kinda clean though:D.

Jay Jolliffe
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Good job Ken....That's on my to do list. I like all the little drawers to store the router bits.

Jeff Monson
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Very nice Ken, I've always liked the design of Norms router table. Yours looks great!

Bruce Page
06-10-2013, 1:51 PM
Sweet setup Ken. I have always wanted one of those but never had enough room for one.

Gregory King
06-10-2013, 2:48 PM
Very nice Ken. Mine is a few years old now. You will really like the fence features, easy to readjust on the fly. Used mine this past week-end to cut half rounds in the ends of some shelving for adjustable shelf standards. I truly enjoy using it every time I hit the switch. Greg

Von Bickley
06-10-2013, 3:33 PM
One major problem...... It is in your shop and not mine.

Great looking router table.

gary Zimmel
06-10-2013, 8:24 PM
Looks like a nice piece of shop furniture...
Nice job Ken.

Larry Frank
06-11-2013, 7:49 PM
That is one really nice router table. I need to replace mine and build one like it.

One issue is that the dust collection comes out the back and prevents you from pushing it back up against a wall. I suppose one could re-route the dust collection to the side. Has anyone done that?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2013, 7:54 PM
Larry,

Thanks for the compliments!

I don't know of anyone who has done that but doing so might cause one to have to eliminate or resize one of the banks of drawers on each side. It suppose it could be done.

After thinking about it Larry. The way that slanted wall is built, one could slant it from the side I suppose. Then using PVC pipe direct it out the side . You would still have to restrict the depth of the bottom drawer on one side to provide access to a side panel but there is plenty of room for bit storage, so you really wouldn't miss much by either shortening the drawer's depth or just eliminating the bottom drawer. It could be done!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2013, 7:55 PM
Thanks everybody for you compliments.

I am going to be traveling for a few days but hope to use it on it's maiden voyage when I return. I have a project planned that requires some routing.

Gordon Eyre
06-11-2013, 9:20 PM
Nice job Ken, I like your version of this very useful tool. I also built one several years ago and it has been invaluable to me.

Phil Thien
06-11-2013, 9:25 PM
Looks great, Ken! I'll bet it provides years of great service!

Jim Becker
06-14-2013, 9:22 PM
Wonderful job!

lloyd morris
06-15-2013, 3:11 PM
Very nice indeed!

Bill Wyko
06-16-2013, 11:26 AM
This is one of those projects on my to do list too. Well done Ken, I always enjoy your work. I'll be done with my workbench this coming week, maybe router tables will be next. Thanks for planting the seed.

Mike Null
06-19-2013, 6:57 AM
Very nice work. I wish I had your dc system on mine---one of these days.

I am downsizing my woodworking shop but my router table will be the last tool to go.

Sam Layton
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Ken,

That is a great looking router table. I like the fence design. I have always wanted to build that type of fence. May the time is nearing...

Sam

Rick Potter
07-03-2013, 6:04 PM
OK, Ken,

Now that you have had it a while, is there anything you would do differently??

Rick Potter
PS: Sam.......it's time, it's time.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2013, 6:12 PM
Rick,

I haven't used it yet though I should be in a few days.

When I posted that I was on my way out the door for 12 days in Norfolk, VA. I had hoped to meet Keith Outten for the first time but my schedule with our youngest son, his family, our oldest grandson and his family prevented that.

We got back and while I was waiting for a new tool to arrive for my next project, the oldest son asked me to help with a bathroom remodel. We plumbed in the bathtub and shower on Sunday. Monday, we hung Wonderboard. Yesterday, I had a semi-annual physical and spent the afternoon running around locating a source for a vaccination I need per my implant surgeon.

Today was yard work day.

I should be able to find use for it within a week.

Sorry!

Jay Yoder
07-15-2013, 9:03 PM
Looks great! Need to build one but unfortunately it is behind a bunch of honey do projects, not to mention, leveling my workbench. But then...maybe :) Regardless, looks great! Let us know how it works!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2013, 6:07 PM
I finally had the opportunity to use this new router table this week. I installed a Woodpeckers PRLV-2 lift on it.

To say I am pleased with the way the lift works would be an understatement. Being able to perform above table bit changes and accurately adjust bit height with the thumbwheel makes this a dream to use!

The table, the high pressure laminate for the working surfaces and the dust collection all work well!