PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty of Tools

Maurice Ungaro
06-09-2013, 7:39 PM
I watched this on TED Talks the other day, and thought about our tool fetish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktUzdnBqWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Frederick Skelly
06-09-2013, 8:38 PM
Well that was somethin. Ive heard about these TED talks, but thats the first Ive actually watched. The professor makes a good point. We all appreciate an exhibition of skill - like fine woodworking. Just look how all of us admired the that Marri wood chest of Derek's today. And as the good doctor showed that hand axe, I was thinking "man thats pretty", just before he talked about it.

That was neat Maurice. Thanks for sharing it.
Fred

Mel Fulks
06-09-2013, 9:41 PM
Yeah Maurice,thanks .Enjoyed that .The natural attraction to the beauty of objects was on my mind ,too,watching that film about the "landfillharmonic orchestra" of Paraguay .In that case the instruments have little of the shape and beauty that was one of things that first attracted us to music.The power of the music draws those children to learn to play their instruments which so obviously show they were made from trash. Worth seeing.

Maurice Ungaro
06-10-2013, 8:14 AM
TED Talks are great, and if you have the iPad app, you can search by theme, subject etc. As for the link I posted, I think it helps our argument with SWMBO. One can simply state that it's the way we are wired, and that we a following a pattern set back in the Stone Age. It's in our DNA.