PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas why such a time difference?

Emma austin
06-09-2013, 4:59 PM
Hi, I need to quote a job, have been supplied the files. I have attached an image. Two seperate sheets, both 600x400mm. To be cut on to MDF (4.75mm). I have used the estimated timer on my machine (usually very accurate). The one on the right with all the circles is coming up at about 26mins. THe other is sayin 1hr 19mins! I can't see how it would take so much longer?
What is in the shape to cause such a slow cut?
It is going to be 100 of each sheet and obviously I would love it to be quicker than 1 hr 20 mins if possible?
Is there any obvious modifications that could be made by the designer to speed it up?
(also the lines look thick on some of the curves but they are all hairline).
Cheers
Emma

Ernie Balch
06-09-2013, 5:09 PM
You could check for extra lines, either stacked on top of each other or inside and outside lines created by vectorizing both sides of a drawn bitmap line. Lines that look too thick might be 2 lines very close to each other.

Scott Shepherd
I think the lines look thick and they show as hairline because they are duplicate lines. It's probably cutting the same thing two or 3 times, which is why it shows so long on the timer. Go in Corel and click on one shape, delete it and see if it's another shape still there.

Just my guess.

Mike Troncalli
Are you 100% sure that there are not multiple layers and that all of the lines are connected? I had someone who has a laser and he had a similar problem. After looking over the files I realized there were several layers and many of the lines were not fully connected...

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2013, 5:10 PM
LOL- all 3 of us typing the same thing at the same time! Great minds think alike, I guess :)

Emma austin
06-09-2013, 5:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Have just tried and can't find any extra lines. Ungrouped everything and tried both moving the line and deleting it and it was still only one hairline. It does seem odd that it looks thick, but when I zoom in it is the same size as the others. hmmm

Gary Hair
06-09-2013, 5:22 PM
I agree with the others and have an easy way to fix it - since the shapes are pretty simple and not too many of them, I would use smart fill and fill each of the parts (on a different layer) then turn off the original layer, select everything and use no fill and hairline outline. You should have a single line for each object. Try your timer now and see what happens.

Emma austin
06-09-2013, 5:24 PM
Okay have just done a test run by taking out those thick ovals completely, and it was only 17 mins. So obviously it is something to do with those 3 thick double ovals as there is no way they should take one hour! But I can't seem to seperate anything. Might have to send back to the designer to see if he can re-do?

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2013, 5:47 PM
Okay have just done a test run by taking out those thick ovals completely, and it was only 17 mins. So obviously it is something to do with those 3 thick double ovals as there is no way they should take one hour! But I can't seem to seperate anything. Might have to send back to the designer to see if he can re-do?

Click on it and see if it's a curve in the property manager. If so, and it's only 1 curve, try breaking the curve apart and then seeing. I'd beat it's the same shape there multiple times, and it's showing only as 1 object because they are combined. Follow Gary's advice, smart fill it and delete the original.

Gary Hair
06-09-2013, 5:56 PM
Follow Gary's advice, smart fill it and delete the original.

Smart fill saves me more time than almost anything I can think of. I can draw complex shapes and use smart fill to turn them into one and I can use it to "eliminate" layers of lines. It's one of my "go to" tools in Corel.

Ross Moshinsky
06-09-2013, 6:06 PM
The curves are made of a million points (well not literally) which results in the laser freaking out. You either want to smart fill it or "simplify" the shape. This is VERY common on exported documents with curves.

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2013, 6:25 PM
Smart fill saves me more time than almost anything I can think of. I can draw complex shapes and use smart fill to turn them into one and I can use it to "eliminate" layers of lines. It's one of my "go to" tools in Corel.

Me too, I think it's one of the most powerful tools in Corel.

Emma austin
06-09-2013, 8:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. He has re-sent it and it's all good now! Phew, really wanted this job but was freaking out at how long it was going to take :)

bryan henderson
06-10-2013, 5:31 PM
What is the finished part? can anyone decipher what it is?

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2013, 6:05 PM
What is the finished part? can anyone decipher what it is?Looks like a carrier for four wine bottles. (Three of them in that picture.)

bryan henderson
06-11-2013, 2:30 PM
Emma

Would you be willing to share this file with the fellow "creekers"???? Looks kind of interesting

Bryan