PDA

View Full Version : Model trains as models

Stephen Tashiro
06-09-2013, 2:28 AM
As a kid, I recall that model trains were always a different deal than model planes, ships car, tanks etc. The model trains were already put together and you could play with them. By contrast, other kinds of models (at least the one's that looked realistic) had to be painstakingly assembled. The mantra for non-train models was "It's not a toy!". You weren't supposed to play with them. They were just to look at.

Is that the situation today? I've seen advertisements for flying "model planes" that appear to be pre-assembled, but I don't know their level of detail rivals models that are just for looks. I've seen plastic model ships advertised as being motorized, but I don't know how gentle you must be with them. And do they make train models that don't double as toys?

Bill Neely
06-09-2013, 3:40 AM
Here's an answer to the question about trains: http://www.csme1959.org/

Brian Elfert
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM
There are many highly detailed model trains that can also run down the track. They make exquisite brass model trains that cost over $1000 that will still run down the track.

paul cottingham
06-09-2013, 2:37 PM
Many model railroaders take great pride in how realistic their locks and cars look. This often involves weathering them with paint, breaking parts to make them look well used, and the like.
Some modellers hyper detail their models, and are often referred to as "rivet counters." Rivet counters often come in two forms, rabid (everyone must be like us!) and not so rabid. Reminds me of another group of hobbyists I know, but I can't put my finger on who....
:-)
In general, both types of modellers create models that actually work, as seeing your trains run is a big part of the hobby.

Stephen Tashiro
06-09-2013, 2:58 PM
In general, both types of modellers create models that actually work, as seeing your trains run is a big part of the hobby.

I notice that the "not a toy" type of plastic locomotive model is also made, such as http://www.amazon.com/Revell-RVLS2165-Big-Boy-Locomotive/dp/B0000WPADK/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370803769&sr=8-2&keywords=locomotive. Perhaps they were also made when I was a kid but I don't remember seeing them advertised. I suppose avid train hobbyists know how to motorize these kits.

Brian Elfert
06-09-2013, 3:11 PM
Model railroad hobbyists almost always buy their locomotives already powered. My father has a huge collection of model railroad stuff in boxes that he has bought over the past 15 years. He is finally starting on his own large model railroad layout now that he is retired. He goes to other guy's houses weekly to operate their layouts.

That plastic model probably wouldn't have the proper wheel spacing and stuff for go on a track even if someone did manage to add a motor.

Mac McQuinn
06-09-2013, 3:29 PM
If you like trains and enjoy unbelievable craftsmanship, you own it to yourself to visit the Warther Museum in Dover, Ohio
I've been there (3) times and I'm still astonished by the story behind a true craftsman and his work. Here's a link, click on the small video at bottom of the page for a brief story. http://www.warthers.com/

Mac

Alan Bienlein
06-09-2013, 5:39 PM
Wow this brings back memories.

Before we moved to Texas I was heavily into model railroading. I had a small layout in a spare bedroom that I had laid every single tie and drove evry single spike laying the track. I even custom built all the turnouts and crossings where one track crossed the other at grade.

I cast all my tunnel portals out of plaster along with the different rock outcroppings used in the scenery. If I needed a specific type of building I would cut all the woood to scale dimensions on my table saw. You should see how small a HO scale 2 x 4 is!

If the locomotives didn't operate smooth enough I would even remotor and or replace the gears boxes so they would run at scale speeds. I wasn't one of those rivet counters or collectors. All of my equipment was meant to be used and if it didn't operate correctly and with out problems it was modified so that it would. I didn't care if it was a so called collectible as it was worthless to me if it didn't operate properly.

I think it's time to boot the kids out on their own so I can get my trains set up again.

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2013, 10:35 PM
At our previous house, for a while, I had a bedroom renamed as the train room. HO scale. I had a raised platform the went around the room. To gain access, open the door, duck under the platform, stand up in the middle. It had 2 levels. I had planned to make a loosely conceived model of my home town. The old Sante Fe blue and yellow engines were all I'd buy. I didn't lay my own track or make my own switches, but I did use realistic couplers that were magnetically operated. I built the track with using onboard control that sent signals through the track so that two engines could operate independently on the same stretch of track at different speeds and directions. There is a cement mill in my home town. The rail cars that moved the cement were not available pre-made. So I found an Athern brand car that was similar and set out to cut them down to "make" the right style car. Soon after, a remodeling project in the house took away my train room and returned it to the guest room it was originally intended to be. When we all but doubled the house size when we moved in to the current house, I once again had my eyes set on a room to convert to a train room. As it turned out, it was either a shop or a train room, not both. My train room is now my wife's auxiliary music teaching room, but at least I do have my shop!!! Jim.