PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Encounter

Thomas Canfield
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM
There were 3 turners doing demos at local Artisan Gallery, and I went to see what was going on. I was surprised when a stranger came up to me and told me that he had attended my demo, "Bowl Turning for Beginners", at SWAT last year and that it had been one of the big inspirations to do turning. He then went and bought a Robust Sweet 16 (not my suggestion) and got to turning, and had about 15 pictures on his i-phone showing some of his work, pens, bowls, and even a square edge bowl. You could have blown me away. I invited him to come visit my shop today and we spent a couple of hours talking about lots of different woodturning and tools. He is not a member of a turning club, but I did encourage him to join one, even if he can't make all the meetings. It felt good to be able to share experience and some helpful tricks picked up over the years, and send him off with some wood. I look forward to seeing him at SWAT this summer.

I know, no picture, it did not happen, but it did. I am glad to have a visitor in my little crowded shop in Fbg.

John Keeton
06-09-2013, 6:55 AM
Tom, one never really knows the impact one might have on someone's life - in a variety of ways! Great story.

charlie knighton
06-09-2013, 7:19 AM
good story, little moments of triumph make a difference in both of your lives

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Great story. You never know how you are going to touch someone's life.

Reed Gray
06-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I got to meet both Dave Ellsworth and Richard Raffen in San Jose last year at the Symposium. Shook their hands and introduced myself, and told them that they were both my first inspirations from their videos some 15 or more year back. I also told them that I now instruct and demo, and that was in part because of the inspirations I got from them. For me as an instructor, that is one of the best compliments I can give and receive. The teaching is as much fun as the doing...

robo hippy

Brian Kent
06-09-2013, 1:53 PM
I'l still back at Robust Sweet 16 as a first lathe!

Thomas Canfield
06-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Follow up. I got a call this morning and he came back to take a couple pictures of my bandsaw cutting jig (posted on Sawmill Creek) and bandsaw sled for cross cutting cylinders/logs. We had another 1 1/2 hour conversation with wives included in the last hour. It is good that our wives are supportive. I was able to twist his arm and send some more wood home with him and encourage him to look here (SMC) and again join a turning club in the College Station area. He does know Andy Chen there and I warned him about Andy and Corian, but he already knew that.