PDA

View Full Version : Any Jet 1642 experts?

Wade Lippman
06-08-2013, 5:57 PM
I have had a 1642 for 5 years. When I tried to turn it on today nothing happened. It had power and the tach worked when I spun it by had, but the motor was dead.
In the spirit of "if it jams force it; if it breaks it needed replacing anyhow" I pushed the buttons on the back of the thing that converts the power to 3 phase. The thing it says not to touch. Well, the motor started up and it seems to be fine.

So, what might the problem have been, and am I really okay now?
Is there documentation on the converter anywhere?

david brum
06-08-2013, 9:31 PM
I have a 1.5hp 1642 which has a Delta (not the same Delta) VDF on it. Mine works fine, so I haven't done any research on it. If I did though, I'd read this. (http://www.galco.com/techdoc/dlpc/vfd022b43b_um.pdf)

Cheers

Dick Mahany
06-08-2013, 9:35 PM
I'm not an expert but I have a Jet 1642-2. The inverter is made by Delta electronics (Taiwan). I had to replace a motor and the inverter/ VFD last year. Mine just quit and displayed an error code. If you were able to reset yours, perhaps it was just a power glitch or a dirty contact somewhere. Be thankful it started up again. Just keep an eye on it. The VFD is locked at the factory and therefore the settings aren't readily accessed unless you unlock and reprogram it. The Delta inverter manual is available online from the manufacturer, just use the model number on your unit to find it.

If you were to try and reprogram it for any reason, there is an excellent article available on the AAW site for the Powermatic 3520 which is the same. Hope this was just a glitch.

Jeremy Hamaker
06-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I've seen several threads on this and other forums where the Jets and the Powermatics just "won't start" from time to time. Usually, unplugging it from the wall and/or giving it some 'time' allows the motor to start working again. Sounds similar to what happened to you. I'm in the 'glitch' camp as well on this...

Larry Komroff
06-10-2013, 2:57 PM
I would suggest adding a heavy duty switch, cut off switch or unplugging when not in use as the inverter has power applied to it as long as it is plugged in. I made a double pole switch that I plug the inverter into then plug that switch in the outlet. That way i can kill the power to my Powermatic when not in use. I am in Florida and we have many surges. I don't want to take any chances with my baby.

Larry

Ryan Baker
06-11-2013, 10:49 PM
There are a variety of things that can trip it up, like power spikes, overloading, etc. Most of the time I find that turning the red master power button back off, giving it a few seconds, and turning it back on will clear things up fine. If that doesn't work, the reset button on the inverter should get it going again.