PDA

View Full Version : Review of Robert Payne's DC overfill sensor...

Michael Dunn
06-08-2013, 8:26 AM
From Robert Payne at McRabbet Woodworks, LLC

This is not yet a complete and thorough review of how well it works during its intended use. I'm putting clear coats on my latest project so I'm not generating ANY dust or chips right now. Next week I'll update with actual working conditions and a review.

Today, I will review the service and ease of installation.

The package arrive quickly and well packed. It came with detailed instructions and several photos as well as a block diagram to aide in installation. I received the package on Thursday afternoon and was not able to open it until late that same evening. I began installing the system the next morning while still waiting for stain to dry.

I came to a point in the installation where I needed to ask Robert a question. His phone number was printed on the instructions which I realized after I read the email he sent me which also included his number. The email was to say that he observed that the package had been delivered and that he was available for assistance along the way. Perfect timing!!! I HATE waiting!!!

So took some measurements and quickly cobbled together a wall mount for the garage door sensors. 10-15 minutes maybe. I chose a location to mount the sensor unit and mounted it. I realized I needed some 14/2NM( $9, I think...) wire and made a trip to Lowes. Per Roberts recommendation I wired the AC adapter to an outlet controlled by my shop lights so the circuit is not powered 24/7. I bought a 15' extension cord for this ($8).

So now the sensors are mounted and wired to each other and the main unit, and the main unit is mounted and powered, but turned off for the moment. Next was to wire the main unit to interrupt my Lone Ranger's power.

NOTE: I am using the 220V LR remote. The relay in the main unit is rated for 110V. This is fine as long as you follow the instructions and interrupt only ONE leg of the 220V circuit which is 110V unless references from the hot from the other phase.

This is where I needed to call Robert and clarify. I asked, "Do I interrupt the black wire before or after the Lone Ranger?" As in, do I interrupt the hot lead that feeds the LR unit? Or do I interrupt the hot lead from the LR that feeds the DC unit it's power. My thought was to interrupt the hot lead the feeds the LR remote unit with its power. Robert confirmed this to be true.

So I drilled a hole in my LR unit and wired it in series with the LR's circuit breaker which interrupts the hot lead of there is an overload. I used the included push on spade lugs to connect to the breaker and soldered the other two wires. One from the hot lead, the other from the 14/2NM wire I just bought.

When wired like this, the DC sensor unit will interrupt the power feeding the LR remote unit. This allows you to turn on your DC again once you've emptied your DC bin. I wired the other way the LR remote unit would remain powered and when the DC bin is cleared the dc unit would start up with the DC bin open and could make a big mess.

So I completed the install in about 90 minutes. Which included the trip to Lowes and removing my battery charging station which was foolishly located behind my clear flex hose.

Like I said earlier I've yet to actually overfill my DC bin as I'm applying finish to 9 table tops for a restarting now. However, I started my DC and blocked the garage sensors with a piece of wood and the DC sensor unit did exactly what it was supposed to.

Every time.

It took about 15 seconds compared to the listed 10-12 seconds. Perhaps I was counting too fast.

What would I do to improve the unit? Honestly, at this time I cannot even think of a single improvement suggestion to offer for the unit itself. Nor can I offer a suggestion to improve Roberts customer service. Both are exemplary.

I will offer a couple possible improvements to the instructions.

1. Color photos would increase clarity of what were looking at. Added cost, I surely understand. Perhaps not worth it as far as keeping a low bottom line. I totally understand.

2. Offer a full color digital PDF version of the instructions and have the user either print it themselves or read it from their computer, tablet, or smartphone.

$200 shipped for the DC overflow sensor unit
$9 14/2NM wire to connect DC overflow sensor to my LR remote
$8 for a 15' extension cord to have the DC overflow sensor turned on/off with my shop lights

$217 total on debit MasterCard (paid with Paypal actually)

Not having to waste more than 3 hours a day overfilling your DC bin and loading your $155 Wynn filter (twice in one day!!!) then hVe to clean it and thereby reduce its life on every job you have...

Priceless.

Jim Andrew
06-08-2013, 5:08 PM
I'm thinking that this system will work every time you overfill your bin, probably can just forget the thing and depend on the sensor to remind you to dump your dust bin. My garage door stops every time the dog runs under the door when it is closing, so pretty proven technology. Much better than the dust sentry. Mine works right about one out of every 3 times I overfill the barrel.

Wade Lippman
06-08-2013, 6:59 PM
I have some translucent hose between the cyclone and the bin. When I see dust in the hose I empty the bin. Seems to work pretty good; am I missing something?

John Hays
06-08-2013, 11:47 PM
I looked at this a year or so ago while it was still in development and found it to be an interesting alternative to the Dust Sentry. Unfortunately, both devices just seem a little low-tech for the price and are limited to only cyclone users.

I use a Thein baffle on a HF dust collector and have already overfilled my bin once, which was a pain to clean up, so I don't want to ever repeat that episode again. Sadly, I haven't really found a suitable early warning system for my application and I'm not smart enough to come up with my own. LOL

Rick Fisher
06-09-2013, 4:37 AM
I have a Felder RL-160 .. there is nothing more disgusting that cleaning the filter and nothing causes the filter to need cleaning like overfilling the machine.

The symptom is lousy suction... The filter is the only way for air to escape and if air cant escape, new air cant come rushing in ..

That system wont help me but I like that people are looking for solutions..

Mike Goetzke
06-10-2013, 9:21 AM
I have some translucent hose between the cyclone and the bin. When I see dust in the hose I empty the bin. Seems to work pretty good; am I missing something?

Many (like me) have the cyclone in a closet. Plus do you look at the hose after every operation?

I think I was one of the first to get this system about two years ago and it has been flawless. I really like that the bin is really full when the alarm goes off - not wasting time bagging a half full bin. The sensor technology is great too.

Mike

Nelson Howe
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I have my cyclone in a closet. I built my own sensor with an lcd light bulb, dusk to dawn sensor, 120v Radio Shack relay and cheap strobe light. My first lcd bulb wasn't bright enough, and the system shut down too often. I replaced it with a brighter spot light. It works great. Not having to open the closet and look at the tube while milling a lot of material is really nice. I just keep working until it shuts itself off and the strobe comes on. I have my sensor wired in to the light switch so the lcd light is only on when the shop lights are on. The downside of that is that the strobe comes on every time I turn on the lights, and flashes for about 30 seconds. I suppose we could call that a system test.

Nelson

Robert Payne
07-26-2013, 9:34 PM
I just re-read this thread and noted that in his original post in this thread, Michael made the following recommendation regarding the Bin Sensor System he purchased from me:

I will offer a couple possible improvements to the instructions.

1. Color photos would increase clarity of what were looking at. Added cost, I surely understand. Perhaps not worth it as far as keeping a low bottom line. I totally understand.

2. Offer a full color digital PDF version of the instructions and have the user either print it themselves or read it from their computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Just to let others know, I did provide a full color digital PDF version of the Installation Guide for the bin sensor system to Michael at the same time I notified him that the unit was shipped (6/4/13) and I do that with all other customers. Every unit is shipped with a laser printed black & white copy of this document and additional schematics to assist the customers with the installation and connection to their cyclone controls. Since Michael purchased his unit, I have made additional improvements in the documentation and interior wiring of the main unit at no added cost. Over 75 units have been sold in the past 18 months.