PDA

View Full Version : Terminology for the thread for springs on air chisels

Stephen Tashiro
06-07-2013, 8:47 PM
Air chisels have a thread on their nose to hold the retainer spring. Is there a standard terminology that specifies this thread? Or is there no actual standard?

I notice that retainers (such as http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-9512-Hammer-Change-Retainer/dp/B0017XJ16S/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header) that replace the spring seem to be designed to adjust to slightly different types of threads. I don't understand if this is to accomodate several different "standard" threads or whether it's because there are no actual standards.

Ryan Baker
06-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Every one I have ever come across has had the same thread on it. It is certainly a de facto standard if not an official one. Though one of the quick connect adapters is a hundred times better than struggling with those annoying springs.

John Coloccia
06-12-2013, 2:51 AM
I suspect it's just a standard thread, and if you unscrew the barrel you would probably find the same thread on the other side. I've never taken apart my rivet gun so I'm not sure, but I can't imagine it would be anything but a straight forward thread.