PDA

View Full Version : What a week

Rick Potter
06-07-2013, 6:25 PM
Just got back from an 8th grade graduation for grand daughter, wife went to a preschool graduation at the same time, got a Home School graduation for niece tomorrow, Sunday School potluck Sunday, another grand daughter's High School graduation Thursday, hosting a party for said grand daughters graduation on Saturday (50 people maybe). All this plus Little League games, and I have to pick up my new Sawstop (stealth gloat alert). Oh yeah, then comes Fathers Day.

Busy week. Bet I'm not alone.

Rick Potter

Chris Damm
06-08-2013, 7:39 AM
We went to a preschool graduation for my youngest granddaughter and great grandson. They even had caps and gowns! Then had a grandaughter's HS graduation to go to.

Don Morris
06-08-2013, 1:27 PM
My neighbor has 6 children, 20+ grandchildren. He has a spreadsheet to cover all his obligations.

Bob Rufener
06-09-2013, 8:43 AM
No graduations to go to. No grandchildren. Oldest son (38) is finally getting married in Feb. Don't know if I'll last long enough to see graduations. Envious of those of you who can do it.

Joe Angrisani
06-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Color me odd, but what's with all the silly graduations? There's two: High School and College. Maybe three: Masters/Doctorate. When did we start needing graduations for preschool for crying out loud? Pretty soon we'll have them for "graduating" from each and every grade!!

It's ridiculous.

Rick Potter
06-09-2013, 2:22 PM
They called the 8th grade graduation a 'Promotion Ceremony'. Almost 500 kids. Two of them did speeches. One of them was all about the dress she was wearing, and how she had shopped all year for it. In a previous generation, we would have called her a 'Valley Girl'.

Yesterdays high school graduation was a group of home schoolers. Total of eight students, and each gave a nice speech. They had all studied speech and debate for several years. My niece has successfully home schooled her six children, yesterday's graduate was number four. I kid you not, this family is like the Brady Bunch, and all the kids are really bright, one just turned down an appointment to the Air Force Academy, to go into ministry, and another is teaching English in Saipan.

Brian Elfert
06-09-2013, 3:08 PM
I understand grandparents attending high school/college graduations and weddings. I don't understand grandparents who try to attend all the sporting events for their grandkids when the grandkids live nearby. It would be a full time job if one has a lot a grandkids. It is bad enough that parents run all over town trying to attend all the sporting events for their kids, but the grandparents too?

Jim Matthews
06-10-2013, 7:26 AM
No graduations to go to. No grandchildren. Oldest son (38) is finally getting married in Feb. Don't know if I'll last long enough to see graduations. Envious of those of you who can do it.

Perfect match for "The Grandfather experience"...
There's got to be some kid out there that would jump at the chance to have a rental Grampa.

Jim Matthews
06-10-2013, 7:29 AM
+1 on Promotion ceremonies as counter productive.

I used to think that giving a car on high school graduation was over the top.
These events concentrate all the attention that should have been on the child over the past year into one fraught afternoon.

Around here, families celebrate graduation from 8th grade as some sort of unexpected surprise.