PDA

View Full Version : Bedrock Hump or hump-less?

phil harold
06-07-2013, 3:46 PM
What is the difference between the two
I just picked up a 604 with a hump
Now I have a 606 and 604 both with a hump, so I have nothing to compare it too

Adam Petersen
06-07-2013, 3:50 PM
The earliest models of the Bedrocks were rounded side, the flattop came in a later evolution of the Bedrocks. I've had two of the round side Bedrocks and from what I cold tell, the adjustment of the iron and frog were more Bailey like vs. the later flattops and the now ubitiquous frog adjustment made with out removing the cap iron/blade.

Jim Koepke
06-07-2013, 4:45 PM
As Adam said, it was a change in the methods of adjusting the frog.

With the hump, the blade had to be removed to loosen the frog holding screws before adjustment.

With the flat top, there are two screws on the outside that loosen/tighten the pins holding the frog. The adjustment can be made with the blade in place. Though the ramp is sloped so the blade adjustment changes with any frog adjustment.

I have owned a few Bedrocks and like the rounded sides like the Bailey. There was such little difference with Bedrocks compared to a Bailey that mine have all been sold.

jtk

Joe Bailey
06-07-2013, 4:55 PM
As has been pointed out, the difference between the two styles of Bedrock planes is the substitution of tapered pins for the threaded screws that typcially hold the frog to the base. Two additional adjusting screws, accessible while the plane is fully assembled, intersect the first set, locking them in place. This second set is accessed at the rear base of the frog -- under the adjuster wheel. This allows the frog to be moved fore and aft without taking off the lever cap, and chipbreaker/iron assembly. Nothing more.
I too, prefer the round sided Bedrocks to those with truncated sides, since the essence of the Bedrock is the massive mating area machined into both frog and base. The rest means little to me, since I can't remember the last time I moved a frog.

an edit: I do remember the last time I moved a frog -- it was done in order to accommodate a thicker aftermarket iron.

phil harold
06-07-2013, 5:13 PM
I do remember the last time I moved a frog -- it was done in order to accommodate a thicker aftermarket iron.
Well after the rehab and installing an a-2 blade I doubt I will move the frog again
thanks guys!