PDA

View Full Version : What's the definition of a Hollow Form?

Brian Kent
06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I know if there is a sphere with 1/64" walls and a 3/4" hole, that's a Hollow Form.

But what about a 10" wide bowl with a 4" opening and 3/8" walls?

What about a 10" calabash bowl with an 8" inside rim?

Where do you start calling it a hollow form?

Prashun Patel
06-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Personally, I think anything with a convex and nested concave side is a hollow form. That name refers to the form.

Bowls, vases, and vessels refer to function.

I always thought bowls, vases, and vessels were a subset of hollow forms.

charlie knighton
06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
depends on the turner who did the form, his call, put it in gallery, its the curater who makes the call, whoever is the boss man

Thom Sturgill
06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Good question Brian! I suppose that technically any form with the opening smaller than the widest part of the interior is a HF, I hesitate to call a typical calabash a HF.

Maybe when the opening is small enough that the turner can not see the inside while turning? That would make your 10" form with a 4" opening a HF and I am comfortable with that description.

Brian Kent
06-07-2013, 2:10 PM
Good question Brian! I suppose that technically any form with the opening smaller than the widest part of the interior is a HF, I hesitate to call a typical calabash a HF.

Maybe when the opening is small enough that the turner can not see the inside while turning? That would make your 10" form with a 4" opening a HF and I am comfortable with that description.

I like that distinction. Thanks

John Keeton
06-07-2013, 4:56 PM
A "closed form" is a form that has a mouth smaller than the maximum diameter of the form, and somewhere along the line as the mouth becomes smaller, folks use the term hollow form. As has been indicated, that nomenclature will vary depending on who is involved. Typically, I would think most hollow forms involve an opening of 2" or less.

Curt Fuller
06-07-2013, 5:02 PM
Once you step outside the woodturning realm most people would look at you kind of funny for even talking about a hollowform.;) Likewise when you talk about wall thickness. But I think Thom and John's descriptions are pretty close.

Brian Kent
06-07-2013, 6:41 PM
Once you step outside the woodturning realm most people would look at you kind of funny for even talking about a hollowform.;) Likewise when you talk about wall thickness. But I think Thom and John's descriptions are pretty close.

It wasn't long ago that I thought HF meant Harbor Freight.

Thom Sturgill
06-07-2013, 7:52 PM
It wasn't long ago that I thought HF meant Harbor Freight.

It does. Just depends on the context.:)