PDA

View Full Version : My new best friend

Doug Herzberg
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
As a new turner, and one with an exceptionally slow learning curve, poor hand-eye coordination, and dismal eyesight, I do a lot of sanding. I was intrigued by Dan Forman's post awhile back about speed sanding. I have experimented with die grinders with 2 and 3 inch twist lock sanding pads from HF with some success, but it took a bit of control to minimize sanding marks. A few sales ago, I picked up this 2" orbital sander on sale for about $24.95. The sandpaper disks that came with were junk, so I haven't used it much. In my last Craft Supply order, I had them throw in an assortment of green 2" hook and loop sanding disks. So far, it's been great. No start up marks, no sanding marks, lathe on, lathe off, in the chuck and free standing - it's all been good. It's rated at 4 cfm at 90 psi, but it can empty my 80 gallon compressor on the first or second grit. The exhaust is at the rear, where it attaches to the hose, so I haven't had issues with blow by oil.

HF item # 93629, Currently $28.00.

Ken Kimbrell
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Sounds good Doug... I've been doing some shopping for this size sander over the past few days so this one def goes to the top of my list.

Harry Robinette
06-07-2013, 4:35 PM
Doug
I've used the HF sander now for around a year or so. I really like it, I've used a friends Grex sander something like $100.00 and don't care for it as much, the Grex seamed to be a little nosier then the HF. Mine does eat allot of air but no where near what yours does. I wonder if it's just that GREAT Quality Control they have on these HF tools.

Doug Herzberg
06-07-2013, 6:56 PM
Doug
Mine does eat allot of air but no where near what yours does.

I should have said cycle, not empty, Harry. My pressure switch only has about a 30 psi differential, and my plumbing has a few very minor leaks (mostly drains on HF filter regulators). And sometimes I spend a lot of time on the lower grits. But still, it eats a lot of air. 'Bout like an impact wrench, I'd say. As far as QC at HF, don't ever forget to try a tool within the return period.