PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Bryan Slimp
06-07-2013, 9:29 AM
I inherited a Powermatic 45 (green w/racing stripe.) It's sweet but I've had it for like five or six years and haven't even touched it. My uncle had begun restoring it and it's somewhat broken down, but I believe it has all of the knobs, etc. It has at least one rest, and the snow plow/cage/plexi guard.

What I would really like is a bandsaw and a jointer. Nothing huge or brand new.

If we said that the condition is average (understanding that it's old and it works, but the paint isn't perfect) is there enough value to offer a craigslist trade for a standard 14" bandsaw and 6" jointer? Am I too ambitious on the value?

I appreciate any help or input.

charlie knighton
06-07-2013, 9:53 AM
check out estate sales also, there is plenty of value out there for bandsaw and jointer, you can also add riserblock to bandsaw, it might cost as much as the used bandsaw

Mike Cruz
06-08-2013, 1:18 AM
Bryon, I would value your lathe at about $300-400. Of course, without pics etc, it is hard to tell. May not be worth even that if it is all apart and missing things. I got a PM90 for $300 that didn't "need" anything, but could have used a paint job...though I restored and pimped it out anyway.

What kind of band saw are you looking for? Ridgid? If so, then probably yes. Delta, maybe. PM, Laguna, Rikon, MM, no.

What kind of jointer are you looking for? Ridgid? Yes. Delta? Yes. PM? Maybe/no.

Just my opinion, of course.

Bryan Slimp
06-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Rigid/Delta is what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be a lot of worthwhile bandsaws or jointers on CL here. I'm hoping the lathe could be trade bait. I realize I'll probably get a lot of offers for 3 wheel craftsman saws, etc.

Bob Bergstrom
06-09-2013, 5:30 PM
Bandsaws in the Chicago area seem to be going cheaper than a 45. Deltas are fairly plentiful, and a open stand can be $400 to $450. A 45 in good shape will be listed around 6 to $700. A 90 might bring $1000 with attachments. Almost all are green in color. Hope this helps.