PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Auctions of Indiana

Stephen Cherry
06-07-2013, 7:17 AM
Just a heads up everyone- I have dealt with a lot of auction houses, but this one is the worst. I bid and won a large lot of lumber from them, and rented a truck to go pick it up. When I got there the kid they had controlling a huge warehouse of product told me that somebody picked up my lot for me. No ID check or anything. So maybe the kid sold my lot as a side deal, or maybe as a company they just do not know how to control their lots. Got my money back, but I'm still out on the truck rental and fuel, not to mention my time.

I would strongly avoid Charleston Auctions of Indiana.

Bruce Wrenn
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
File a complaint, not only with BBB, but also auction licensee board. The second is much more likely to get their attention. You could also file in small claims court to recover your expenses.

Stephen Cherry
06-07-2013, 2:58 PM
File a complaint, not only with BBB, but also auction licensee board. The second is much more likely to get their attention. You could also file in small claims court to recover your expenses.

I thought about it. The problem is that I am in Maryland and they are in Indiana, and the terms say that the suit would be in Indiana. I think that if I added it all up, it would not have been worth it. The funny part is that I did talk to their lawyer, and he was shocked to find out that an auction was a binding contract. Basically, the deal is done at the time the hammer falls. The lawyer was the guys broter, or brother in law, something like that. Generally a low class operation, in my opinion.

Greg Portland
06-07-2013, 4:29 PM
BBB is a waste of time. The business just needs to reply (and keep paying their annual fee) and they maintain their A rating.

Stephen Cherry
06-08-2013, 7:45 AM
BBB is a waste of time. The business just needs to reply (and keep paying their annual fee) and they maintain their A rating.

You are correct. I have dealt with a lot of auction houses, and it seems like they generally value their integrity above everything. I have never had a single problem, except with Charleston Auctions of Fort Wayne Indiana, which exorcized such great diligence that they did not control the lots in a materials auctions. Personally, I think that they let someone else have my lot, cause the kid was looking awful guilty. In any case, I bought my lot, paid for it, had my receipt, drove 5 hours to pick it up, and the kid who I consider to be a thief told me that someone picked my lot up for me. He looked awful guilty.

This is the first and only time I had an issue with an auction house.

Chris Rosenberger
06-08-2013, 12:32 PM
File a complaint with the Indiana Auctioneer Commission.

http://www.in.gov/pla/auction.htm