PDA

View Full Version : Odd fault....

Rodne Gold
06-07-2013, 6:28 AM
Noticed smoke and smell from my 60W shenui and saw the tube power supply was the culprit , blackened casing etc. Laser was on but not firing at the time..
Anyway , removing the tube PS and plugging the laser back in without one tripped the circuits..odd...........
On the same circuit is the chiller and the cheapo extractor.....
So we unplugged each item to see what was at fault and it turns out the extractor is faulty...plufg it in , it trips the board..
Now , apart from the fact that the laser /chiller/extractor is on the same powerstrip , there really is no connection between them... they all run independantly
PS ( has no fuse ) was really burnt up inside...So i wonder if the extractor took out the PS or vice versa...nothing else was affected.
Had a spare PS and swapped it out and 5 mins later , all is running A ok..(barring the extractor)

Dan Hintz
06-07-2013, 8:02 AM
I wonder if one of the grounds started floating... that can cause a serious overvoltage condition, and things go 'poof' quite easily at that point.

Alexa Ristow
06-07-2013, 8:10 AM
Hiya Rodney..

Doubt it if you need it but I do have a spare extractor sitting in Somerset west if you need to borrow one for the duration.

Regards,

Alexa.

Alexa Ristow
06-07-2013, 8:12 AM
would it make sense to drop an inline fuse holder prior to the power supply in this instance?

Rodne Gold
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I am not clued up about grounds etc , our other laser shares the spiked ground with this one and wasn't affected...
I initially thought the tube might have gone and taken the PS with it , maybe due to the cheap cw 3000 chiller having gone faulty ..hence my unplugging chiller/blower..
but on reflection , the chiller goes thru a flow switch on the laser , so it would have not allowed the laser to fire if faulty...
Extractor was the el cheapo that came with the laser , on 10 hrs a day , been working 2 years , so I suppose its not too bad...
I will stick in an inline fuse - the reci PS's do have fuses..this is a generic one , looks like a transformer has burnt..
Thanks for the offer Alexa, We just plumbed the extraction into one of the other much more potent blowers.. I think I probably have an unused one somewhere but will contact you if we run into trouble..