PDA

View Full Version : Another Grizzly 690/91 vs 1023 table saw thread

Maurice Arney
06-06-2013, 8:13 PM
Well not quite :) I am getting ready to order a new saw and still trying to decide between the two. It's almost a "coin flip" as to which one I will get. What I am wondering though, is if anyone has experience with a router table extension. On the surface, this seems like a good idea. But often things that seem like a good idea in writing turn out to be not so good in practice. Does anyone have a setup like this? Does it work out well having your router table incorporated into your table saw? Are there drawbacks? Seems like it would save valuable floor space not having a separate router table. Any thoughts?

Art Mann
06-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Deleted because I somehow replied to the wrong thread !?!

Pete Janke
06-07-2013, 1:32 AM
I have run into the problem of having to use the table saw after using the router and vice versa, but I try to plan to avoid it. I'm happy with this set-up and love the GO691. My router fence is attached to the table saw fence with fence clamps. I don't have the room for a separate router table at this time.263922263921

bobby milam
06-07-2013, 1:47 AM
I have the 1023. Nice to save the space but there are limitations using one of the wings as a router table. Eventually I will build a router table to give me more flexibility but I will keep the router on the saw also. A spare always comes in handy.

It will really boil down to what you are going to really use the router for. For me it is just to run an edge on something so it is quick to get to on the saw. I just have the room available now for a dedicated table.

scott spencer
06-07-2013, 5:29 AM
If you've got the space, a stand alone router is has the upper hand. If you're limited on a space, a RT in the TS wing is an excellent compromise IMO. I slightly favor the G1023RL series regardless....the vertical dovetail ways and serpentine belt drive alone are advantages IMO, but both saws have strong followings....can't go wrong with either one.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/rt003-1.jpg

Curt Harms
06-07-2013, 7:59 AM
I have a router wing on a table saw. I found using the T.S. fence for the router fence suboptimal for the reason Art states. I built a second fence for the router table. I can have the router table fence installed and still rip up to about 12" wide which is often enough. If it matters to you, dust collection under the router can be a little more challenging with a router wing than with a stand alone table.

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't it be great if Grizzly would combine the best features of the 1023R series and the 690/1 series into one ultimate saw??? All this debate would disappear!!!!;):D:p
I debated on building the RT into the extension table, but with the 25" Incra LS Positioner system I decided I HAD TO HAVE, it just wasn't feasible. It could be done, but it would have been a complicated L shaped extension, and that defeated the reason to have it in the extension, and complicated things too much. I think I could have positioned my RT behind the new saw and possibly used part of it as outfeed support, but keeping the old saw complicated that idea also. So I have a 36X54 separate router table. But it works for me. Jim.

Phillip Gregory
06-10-2013, 6:56 PM
I thought heavily about the router table extension wing for my saw (Shop Fox's version of the G0691) but I decided to build a Norm Abram style router table instead. The router table wing would have been extremely easy to set up, very square with little work, and probably less expensive than building the router table. You put a square, planed 6/4-8/4 board or doubled-up piece of 3/4 MDF with a laminate coating with a notch for the bit on the outboard side of the fence with some longer machine screws in place of the UHMW piece and you're good to go. A router table is much, much more time consuming to make and more difficult to keep square. But a dedicated router table with an enclosed design such as the Norm Abram design IMHO is much better. There is very little dust that escapes from the enclosed-base router table as you have a vac/DC connection at the fence and at the base. You have neither from a simple table saw wing setup and routing is *extremely* dusty. You also make doing things like jointing much more difficult since you don't have an adjustable 2-piece fence. I also enjoyed practicing my woodworking skills in making a router table and at the end of the day got to say "That's a nice piece and I built it."