PDA

View Full Version : Something really different for me

Brian Brown
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
My neighbor is a professional tree cutter, and whenever he gets a black walnut tree (very rare around here) he dumps it in my driveway. The first time, I didn't get to it for about 2 weeks, and the whole load had split badly. It was low grade firewood. The second time, I took the day off work, and cut and anchor sealed it within hours. It also split badly, but not quite as bad as the first. I couldn't see the wood going to waste, so I tried to find a way to work the crack into the design. I am not a fan of butterflies. I have seen a whip stitching with copper wire for cracks, but don't like it either. Both put the major emphasis on the crack rather than the wood. I thought I would try leather, but it needed something besides the stitch. I thought this Native American touch would work. Let me know what you think. Critique and ideas are very welcome, as I have a whole garage of cracked walnut available. SWMBO provided lots of advice and help with the feather decor on this one.

Black walnut
about 3/8 thick
11.75 inch diameter
walnut oil under lacquer finish

Thom Sturgill
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Very well done, Sir. Nice bowl and the leather and feather not only don't compete with the wood, they complement it, with the feather echoing some of the colors present in the walnut.

Jeff Belany
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
That is a gorgeous piece of wood and a beautiful bowl. Nice fix, looks great!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Brian Kent
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree. The shape of the feather feature complements the swirls. Very nice job.

Steve bellinger
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Not only do I like this,but I really love everything about it. That walnut just begs for something to not take away from, but to bring this piece to new hights. And you did just that IMO. Don't get any better.

Michael Stafford
06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Very cool, Brian! I like the rawhide lacing about the crack as it resembles in some ways the staples that were used to repair cracks in pottery and ceramics. Dressing up the rawhide with the feathers really adds a lot to this piece. SWMBO and Brian did well!

In the midst of all of this is a fabulous piece of figured wood which is well turned and finished. Just beautiful! Two thumbs up!

Wally Dickerman
06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Trees cut in the hot, dry months of summer can be a problem. I suggest that next time you not only anchorseal it but bag it in black plastic along with wood chips. Check it once in a while to be sure that it's not getting mold.

Beautiful wood like that is a joy to turn. You've done a great job with the Indian motif. In a Northwest gallery it should sell easily. The adornment will double the price.

Scott Hackler
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Very nice piece. The lacing and feathers really add to the gorgeous walnut.

Michelle Rich
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
making silk out of a sow's ear...looks great

charlie knighton
06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
very nice, like the stiching and the feathers are well done, just worry if you have a whole garage of cracked walnut you will be pushing your luck to turn most of it without a mishap......

Sid Matheny
06-06-2013, 2:47 PM
That is a thing of beauty in my eye! Very well done.

Sid

jared herbert
06-06-2013, 2:55 PM
I have done several like this only used copper wire. People like them better that way than without. I do to sometimes. Jared

Prashun Patel
06-06-2013, 3:27 PM
Always love your work. That is just gorgeous walnut. Wish it could all look as wonderfully leathery as that.

Dennis Nagle
06-06-2013, 3:55 PM
Very nice work.

Jerry Marcantel
06-06-2013, 4:09 PM
Brian, good save on a beautiful cracked piece of wood. Everything looks good. Keep it up...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Bob Bergstrom
06-06-2013, 4:16 PM
What a great piece. Love the theme and the wood is spectacular. It all makes for one awesome turning. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming. Love it.

Billy Tallant
06-06-2013, 5:50 PM
Very nice looking bowl! The feathers really compliment it & set it off.

Richard Madden
06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I like everything about it, the wood, the form, the stitching and feathers, and the photography is fantastic!

Baxter Smith
06-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Great presentation Brian! It sure looks good as shown! Too bad about all the checking but you seem to have found the silver lining!

Steve Mawson
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
You knocked it out of the park, good job.

Nate Davey
06-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Spectacular Brian, beautiful wood and the leather is a great touch!

Kathy Marshall
06-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Beautiful bowl Brian!
Gorgeous wood and your stitches and feathers really adds a nice touch!

Brian Brown
06-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. I didn't mention that the reason for the 3/8 thickness was because I chickened out on going any thinner. This is the first item I have turned with a major crack when I started turning, and also the largest diameter, making for an extra threat of coming apart. I turned the outside and finished it. Then I covered the crack with a narrow piece of tape (I didn't want glue in the crack) and glued a few biscuit joint biscuits across the crack with hot glue. After the glue cooled, I mummified the biscuits with more hot glue to ensure that they were not going anywhere. It held the whole thing together well; maybe a bit too well. It was a real chore to get the hot glue off after it was done. The reason for the finish on the outside was to make it easier to get the glue off. It helped, but next time i'll go a bit lighter on the hot glue. Bowl by me, plate hanger by Chinese factory via Michael's.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Very nice my friend! You did that piece of wood justice!

Mike Cruz
06-08-2013, 1:23 AM
Bob, this is interesting... I do like it. From the wood, to the lacing, to the feather.

I've been toying with the lacing thing (rather than filling the crack with epoxy) thing lately, too. The challenge I have is that what I turn lately is going with me to shows for sale. What I've noticed so far with showing is that people like stuff they can use. The lacing instantly makes it "art". At least from the standpoint of washability. Leather won't hold up all that great after it gets rinsed.

Again, I love the idea, and your execution is great. Nice job!

Jim Underwood
06-08-2013, 2:42 PM
I'm impressed! It all works together and looks very nice! Well turned!

Brian Ashton
06-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Looks like for a first time you really hit the mark well. Next time the tree guy drops some stuff in the driveway try to pick out the best pieces and throw them in the freezer. They keep for ever that way or at least till you can figure out what you want to do with them...