PDA

View Full Version : Cutter Grinder Question

Joe Fantozzi
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I have 2 engraving machines they are gravograph is6000xp and is400 with 2 gorton cutter grinders. The grinders are old and can't be repaired so i am looking for a new one. My question is what to get? I don't want to spend a ton of money and i looked at the Gravograph CG-30? I have never used it and it looks small but i only grind a cutter 2-3 times a day and they are carbide .125 diameter and .250. Any suggestions?

Tony Lenkic
06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Joe welcome to SMC,
BTW, what is your location?

Don't know what is your budget for this but ideally you would get a Deckel SO model. You can find them on ebay and they are usually priced at 1500.00 and up.
If you PM me I may have another option for you.

Rodne Gold
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
It's fine , just get the diamond wheel.
I make cutters out of broken solid carbide PCB drill shanks..the only issue I have with the gravograph is that there isn't a setting to 1/2 the cutter before sharpening.

Mark Sipes
06-10-2013, 7:18 PM
I have the CG-30 and have made several cutters from old broken shanks. Takes alot of grinding to split a shaft in 1/2. but I just take a good cutter and align so you are on the right axis and then mic the grind down to 1/2 the shaft width... If you go to far then you are off center axis. so the last couple of grinds are slow. to alllow the cutter to cool down before the last .001 is removed...

Rodne Gold
06-11-2013, 3:09 AM
Mark , I actually grind a hair less than 1/2 , I find that when grinding very fine tipped bits , the tip doesnt break as quick..., cutting edge also seems to keep a lot longer that way , I normally give a LOT of back clearance on any bit... I often do 1/4 bits for soft plastics.
Tip for aligning using the already 1/2 bit is great..never thought of that...