PDA

View Full Version : Free Tool Gloat

Steve Ash
05-19-2005, 3:13 PM
A bundle of shingles dropped off the roof of a building we are constructing right now, and hit the side of my truck box. This resulted in going to my friends body shop for a estimate on repair. While I was there he commented on my workshop he had recently came out to look at and said that I needed a jointer. I said yep, eventually I want to get one. He took me out to his storage shed and way in the back was a old Delta Rockwell 6" jointer (Serial #CK 1831) He said I could have it since he wouldn't be using it anymore.....I said I can't just take this what can I pay you for it? He said to just build something for him to put in his office.
So this is a gloat and also anyinformation anyone might have on it or expieriences with one would be appreciated!
Also we cleaned it up a bit, plugged it in and ran a cherry board and a maple board through it......worked just fine!

Jerry Olexa
05-19-2005, 3:27 PM
Wow! you are blessed...Great gloat

Jeff Sudmeier
05-19-2005, 3:37 PM
Steve,

Great gloat! Free tools sure are the best kind! Make sure to put it to good use and above all, we want some pics of it :)

Steve Evans
05-19-2005, 3:43 PM
Steve

Great deal. I'll just have to remember to watch the sky if I'm ever walking around Charlotte. Don't want to get hit by any falling shingles. ;)

Steve

Corey Hallagan
05-19-2005, 3:49 PM
Very cool gloat!! Congrats.

Corey

Tim Morton
05-19-2005, 3:50 PM
I'm bummed!!!! I thought the title of this thread mentioned something about a gloat:mad: But I see not pictures, so i assume I missread the title.....

Douglas Robinson
05-19-2005, 3:57 PM
Tim:

As I recall the this model jointer was invisible, so the pictures wouldn't show up. ;)

Scott Loven
05-19-2005, 4:08 PM
Try OWWM (http://www.owwm.com/)
They may have the info you are looking for.
Scott

Byron Trantham
05-19-2005, 5:27 PM
Good on ya! What you going to make the guy?

Dale Rodabaugh
05-19-2005, 5:43 PM
Aint it nice when something like that happens?Hope you enjoy it.

Bill Simmeth
05-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Based on the serial nbr (CK1831) your jointer was made in 1959 in Tupelo. MS. They are nice jointers. Congrats and *you suck*.

John Hart
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Cool Steve! I won't show any pictures of my jointer either...Keep it a secret!:D

Tom Pritchard
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Steve, it sounds like a great jointer and an even better friend! Nice going on both accounts! Any idea what you are going to make him? Maybe a real nice stand for the office coffee pot?

Keith Christopher
05-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Man that's like finding a garage kept '66 Vette ~! NICE !

Steve Ash
05-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys!
Tim...I'd love to post pics, but by the time I take the card to Wal-Mart and get the CD, then put it on my photobucket.com and then on here, as slow as my dial up connection is the tool would be a antique.....hmm maybe it is already an antique.
Bill...thanks for the info on when it was made.
As far as what I am going to make him....I don't know yet. I want to make it for his office but he already has a coffee put shelf, thought about some kind of display shelf (case) since he collects scale models of muscle cars and hot rods.
I'm open for suggestions!
Steve

Rob Russell
05-22-2005, 8:54 AM
Steve,

Keep an eye out on the Sunday paper ads from big strores that carry computers. Electronics stores (e.g., Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy) and the office stores (e.g., Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot) will all run specials where things are cheap after a mail-in rebate. You can pickup a 9-format card reader for $20.

Pics can be posted to SMC and are free.

Rob