PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Unisaw--cracked front bracket.

Alan Muller
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Something I wanted but didn't really need, as my Craftsman contractor saw really works OK. But.....

It's a model 34-466, from 1977 and made in Tupelo from my interpretation of the serial number JR3210. I read that this was something of a low point quality-wise.

In any case, the front trunnion bracket is cracked, on the motor-opening side. The flange is separated maybe 1/64th and the crack has propagated through the web but not, I think, into the semi-circular seat of the trunnion. ( I haven't fully disassembled the saw yet.)

I'm hesitant to try brazing this, or having it brazed or welded, as it is obviously a brittle gray iron casting and might end up distorted at best. I'm considering trying a mechanical repair with straps, bolts, and epoxy.

Suggestions?

Thanks.....

Chris Rosenberger
06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Check Ebay. There are lots of good Unisaw trunnion parts there.

Jeff Duncan
06-05-2013, 2:20 PM
Do a search over on OWWM for metal stitching.....it's quite an interesting way to fix such a crack. Alternatively as Chris mentioned.....there's usually plenty of parts available on the "bay";)

good luck,
JeffD

Keith Outten
06-05-2013, 2:38 PM
If you cannot find a new part then brazing is your next best option. An experienced tradesman could braze your bracket easily. Note that I really mean someone who is very experienced and there are very few. Check your local plumbers union, you might find a plumber or pipe fitter who knows how its done.

Dave Cav
06-05-2013, 5:03 PM
Head over to OWWM.org and start a discussion. I would be very surprised if several members haven't had the same problem, and will share their solutions.

Jim Andrew
06-05-2013, 8:38 PM
Don't know of your location, but if you are in farming country, you should be able to find a shop with the know how to weld your part.

Chris Fournier
06-05-2013, 8:45 PM
Welding cast iron is tricky, brazing is not and the repair can be 100%. I have brazed lots of cast iron with excellent results. I have also welded cast iron with excellent results but the process is difficult and seems needlessly troublesome in your application. Braze your component, paint it and move onto using a great saw!

will smith
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Check Ebay.

Erik Manchester
06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I have seen those trunnions repaired with clamping the crack together, drilling, tapping and threading a hardened steel bolt through it dipped in JB Weld. This sort of repair gives plenty of strenth to the remaining connection without risking warping or further cracking that might occur with an attempt at brazing.

Alan Muller
06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trolling for a used one but they apparently break often so aren't especially cheap.
If I still had oxy-acetylene equipment I might try brazing,but since I don't I think I will try a mechanical repair with straps, bolts, and epoxy.

Alan

Michael Wildt
06-08-2013, 4:44 PM
Never weld cast iron. If you need a good guy then I've seen this guy's videos and what he does is nothing short of amazing - http://www.turnwrightmachineworks.com/
In any case find his video's on youtube and decide for your self. Here is two about brazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=117Q9odITF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8GHsC5gk6E

Chris Fournier
06-08-2013, 6:55 PM
I have seen those trunnions repaired with clamping the crack together, drilling, tapping and threading a hardened steel bolt through it dipped in JB Weld. This sort of repair gives plenty of strenth to the remaining connection without risking warping or further cracking that might occur with an attempt at brazing.

You can risk failure with any repair technique especially a mechanicial repair in this instance. Quite simply brazing is the best solution and if done properly - you need not be a wizard/warlock/alchemist - it is an easy fix done every day. People make this out to be witchcraft and it is simply lack of knowledge on their part. Brazing is easy and effective. Prep, braze, paint - invisible repair!

Jacob Reverb
06-08-2013, 7:27 PM
You can risk failure with any repair technique especially a mechanicial repair in this instance. Quite simply brazing is the best solution and if done properly - you need not be a wizard/warlock/alchemist - it is an easy fix done every day. People make this out to be witchcraft and it is simply lack of knowledge on their part. Brazing is easy and effective. Prep, braze, paint - invisible repair!

+1

It ain't a lunar lander.