PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Power Port

Keith Outten
06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Something new I recently found from Milwaukee Power Tools.

The Power Port provides both 12 and 5 volt DC power for cell phones, iPads, etc. It also charges your DC stuff while they are in use so I have found it very handy when my cell phone battery gets low and I am in the shop or moving about because I don't need electrical power to keep my phone working. Works pretty good with my iPad as well as I can charge batteries while I am on the way to a meeting or sales call.

The Power Port has both a USB power and a cigarette lighter connection. You must provide your own M12 Milwaukee battery and charger so this one might not be viable for those who don't use Milwaukee battery drills. Not one of my local area retailers sell the Power Port so I have to order it online which is why I decided to start this thread. You might not be aware of this little jewel as you probably won't see it on the shelf at the Borg stores.

Jason Roehl
06-06-2013, 8:30 AM
This is what I use for emergency power on the go (there are larger versions with more capacity, but this is good for about 2-3 full recharges of my iPhone 5):

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Flashlight-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Lightning/dp/B005K7192G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370521527&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+5600

In the past, though, I put a couple alligator clips on an accessory 12V port (cigarette lighter style), then would just clip that onto a 14.4V cordless drill battery (I have a bunch of P+C 14.4V tools and batteries) and put a rubber band around it all. Then it was just a matter of having the proper 12V plug/cable combo.

Keith Outten
06-06-2013, 8:57 AM
Jason,

What I like the most about the Power Port is the portability. I have several ways of charging my phone from stationary sources but this one can slip into your pocket or backpack. I've also had some long meetings doing slide shows and had to worry about the battery on my iPad lasting to the end. The truth is my age has caught up with me and I often fail to remember to charge up my mobile devices the night before. The idea that my phone will charge from this device is great, its not just an external battery pack. The Milwaukee batteries charge fast and several batteries in the shop mean I have plenty of auxiliary power if I need it. If I purchase the larger M12 batteries that are now available they might last a week or more if I was traveling.

I've been looking for a cigarette lighter for the dashboard of my golf cart but it seems they are rare to find these days. This would give me an easy way of charging small devices that has more longevity than the Milwaukee batteries. Maybe I can find a USB dashboard fixture somewhere and I wouldn't need the cigarette lighter converter.

Jason Roehl
06-06-2013, 9:05 AM
Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket/dp/B0002KRC5Y/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_z

I wanted more portability than the cordless drill battery, that's why I went with the Anker device--it does charge the phone, plus it has a flashlight. It's smaller than a deck of cards. The one little thing I didn't like is that it doesn't do pass-through charging--that is, it won't simultaneously charge while something is plugged into it (probably a heat/amperage safety issue). The larger versions of the Anker even have 2 USB ports for charging devices (mine, the 5600 mAh model only has one).

I got it so that I could keep my phone charged while on long (4-6 hours or more) bike rides where I was using the phone's GPS for tracking my route.

Jason Roehl
06-06-2013, 9:07 AM
Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS43-Panel-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B0047XUDCQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1370523943&sr=1-2&keywords=hardwired+usb+port+for+car

Bill Huber
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I love it, I have about 6, 12v batteries and I also have the big 12v battery so that will be really nice.
I think it will be really nice for the bike and also when I am out and about and need to charge the battery on the phone or tab let.

Thanks

Jerome Stanek
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I have the Ryobi power port that came with noise canceling head phones, drill scissors and flashlight

Keith Outten
06-06-2013, 7:07 PM
Thanks Jason,

From your link I found this one, a duel port USB panel mount that is perfect for the EZGO dashboard. The Milwaukee Power Port does have the pass through charging capability, it charged my old iPhone 4 from 65% to 100% in 45 minutes while I was using it in my shop to play music. The big advantage for me is that I already own Milwaukee batteries and I don't need to wait for a tool battery to charge in order to keep using the power port.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

Jerome, no doubt someone here will be interested to know that Ryobi has a power port.

Ya gotta love the Lithium batteries. I replaced the batteries on my golf cart with Lithium Smart Batteries. The old lead acid batteries were 480 pounds and the Lithium batteries are 240 pounds. Charging time went from eight hours to just two hours and the Lithium batteries will last many years longer with zero maintenance......no need to keep adding DI water to the cells of the lead acid batteries.

Matt Meiser
06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
They have one for the M18's too, but it only has USB--no cigar-lighter style 12V plug. It has another connector too for their heated jacket--wish I knew the voltage and if I could find a plug to fit as I'd buy one if I knew.

For travel I've got one of the Targus battery packs about the size of a small hard drive for charging my phone. Works well--just have to remember to charge IT when power is available!