PDA

View Full Version : I have a chance to buy a vega pro 40 fence system

Thom Rider
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Guy wants $150 for a in the box new Vega pro 40 fence upgrade.

any opinions as to this being a good deal.

i would be putting it on a 1987 craftsman tablesaw.

thanks for your input in advance.

Jim Andrew
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Price looks pretty good, several years ago I considered upgrading the fence on my cman saw, but as the motor was worn out, just went with a Unisaw. Really glad I did. Price on a fence back then was higher than this deal.

Jim Tabor
06-05-2013, 9:13 AM
Do not buy!!! Send the contact information to me.

Troy Turner
06-05-2013, 9:26 AM
Thom - I put one on my 80's model Craftsman and never looked back. Bolted right up (NO DRILLING). It was the Pro 40. $150 is a heck of a deal and I wouldn't waste my time reading these replys...you should already have it on your saw :D

It's a really nice fence. Especially compared to the stock fence. Once you have it squared up, you'll never have to touch it again. The micro adjust is smooth and while not used everyday, is really nice when you need it. It can stand alone to the right, but I would highly recommened adding an extension to the right. It come with the brackets for it too.

Stew Hagerty
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I have 80's era Craftsman saw and upgraded to the Vega 50. $150 for the 40Pro is a great deal. I recommend that you do not let it pass you by. The Vega is a strong, accurate, and so very easy to mount to a Craftsman saw that you would almost think that they were made specifically for them.

+1 for adding the extension table between the rails. You should also add legs then. You can make some or purchase a set from Vega.

Oh, and by the way... The Vega people are very helpful if you ever have any questions or problems.

One other thing I would highly recommend as a Craftsman TS upgrade is to replace the small & light blade adjustment cranks with a couple of big heavy cast iron handwheels:

I got mine from Grizzly. They fit like a glove and work soooooo much better than the original "crank handles" that they replaced:
H3190 CAST IRON HANDWHEEL 8"
H3205 CHROMED HANDLE 4" X 3/8"

Jeff Duncan
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I bought a Vega fence for the first Uni I bought going back maybe 15 years or so ago. I believe it was the pro version, though I can't remember what made it that way? I do know it was a good fence, I used it to make a lot of cabinets over the course of maybe 6 years or so before I replaced with a larger Beis fence. My memories a little fuzzy but I want to say back them I paid around $200 for the fence new in the box, which would make $150 in todays dollars a pretty fair price.

good luck,
JeffD

scott spencer
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
That's a great buy IMHO.

Richard Coers
06-05-2013, 12:06 PM
The fence will be better than your saw, buy it!

Dan Bundy
06-06-2013, 6:11 AM
Agree. I've got the 52" pro on my early 90s Craftsman saw and I love it. Jump on that deal with both feet! DB

Andrew Kertesz
06-06-2013, 6:37 AM
I had one on a saw 20 yrs ago and now have another on a Craftsman 'zip code' hybrid. You will never regret the purchase...

richard poitras
06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I had one on one of my saws 20 years ago and they are a very good fences . I would buy one again if needed.