PDA

View Full Version : Department of irony, tablesaw edition

Steve Voigt
06-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok, the picture's not so clear, but basically I'm using the rip fence as a bench hook. Realized how ridiculous it was, so I decided to snap a pic. I really need to make a real bench hook, but this did in a pinch.

Bill Houghton
06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. I long ago realized that a table saw was a nice flat, heavy surface on which you could do all kindsa stuff.

Stanley Covington
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Very practical. I have heard of SawStop, but this is a new version!

Kees Heiden
06-05-2013, 2:36 AM
Are you a lefty? I cannot envision how to saw in a position like that.

Nice saw BTW.

Steve Voigt
06-05-2013, 8:27 AM
Yep, im a lefty.
Its an old D7 with intact nib...er, did you mean the other one? :)

Kees Heiden
06-05-2013, 9:36 AM
That explains it! it looked a bit contortionistic to me.

Does the other saw have a nib too?

Chris Hachet
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. I long ago realized that a table saw was a nice flat, heavy surface on which you could do all kindsa stuff.I do the same sort of stuff...and my table saw sees a lot less use now that I am enjoying hand saws more.

Winton Applegate
06-06-2013, 1:00 AM
You've got that nice table saw. You don't need that "old out of date handsaw". Send it to me. It's just cluttering up your shop. I'll even pay shipping.

Jim Matthews
06-06-2013, 6:31 AM
Nice looking saw.

Ditch the cast iron bench.
A real workbench will omit the angle iron gonch catcher....

Mike Allen1010
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM

"Department of irony, tablesaw edition"

Steve, that may be one of the best photo titles ever!- so self-explanatory!

If you decide you want to make a career change, you definitely have a future as a headline editor.

All the best, Mike

Mike Holbrook
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I think it is a shame that many people do not get full use of a nice woodworking machine. I am proud to say that I get even more use out of my table saw:

The front is an excellent place to put sticky sandpaper for getting things very flat. That leaves the back half for cleaning hand tools. I have a nice piece of cardboard on the back half for cleaning hand saw plates, a couple vats of mineral spirits with various hand tool parts soaking in them. I think it is important to cover a nice table saw table so one does not damage the tool. The fence is a natural divider making it easy to do at least two separate jobs on the same machine at the same time. Not only that the protruding edges on the top of my fence make a great tool holder. Thank goodness the pesky blade can be lowered below the work surface and out of the way.

Steve Voigt
06-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Jim Mathews--what's a gonch catcher?!
The angle iron is the front rail for the rip fence, and also used to support my router table. But I left my router table in Brooklyn when I moved, and since becoming a Creeker, I'm happy to say I've felt no need to make a new one.

Mike Allen--thanks for the compliment, but I've already had way too many career changes!

Steve

Derrell W Sloan
06-07-2013, 2:07 PM
When I finally got to the point I was using my table saw more as a bench than as I saw, I decided it was time to sell the saw to make room for a real workbench.

Winton Applegate
06-08-2013, 8:10 PM
what's a gonch catcher?!

When you get your gonch caught you'll know.

Winton Applegate
06-08-2013, 8:30 PM
It is comments such as these about the multi uses of the table saw and movng it out entirly to make room for a real bench that make me sure i have come to the right forum for me.
When i said stuff like that in the other forums they just looked at me (as my Mom used to say (Bob rest her soul) )
" like I had been dropped on my head ".
I will confess to cutting my Klausz bench SQUARE (actually rectangular) dog holes with a nice stacked dado set when i might of sawed and chiselled them out. There, my shame is layed bare for all to see.
It's just that i had this nice, new, sharp, dado set, that i really like owning,
just sitting there
begging to do some thing
any thing
just once at least.
(so i caved in)