PDA

View Full Version : Newby needs HELP!

Sammy Shuford
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Small walnut piece. FInished with Watco Oil, cure, spray poly, cure, and then paste wax.

Problem found after paste wax, so I resanded with 400 grit (very lightly to remove fuzzy), and rewaxed. Got good color back, but now there are dull areas.

Guess I need to go back to apply a new coat of poly, but I need to clean wax off first.

Suggestions please!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Sammy....I'm a relative rookie too but I think I've read that you can remove wax by wiping it down with Mineral Spirits. Hopefully some more experienced people will reply! Good luck!

larry merlau
05-19-2005, 12:54 PM
i havnt had any luck using mineral spirts for removing wax, but denatured alcohol has worked for me.

lou sansone
05-19-2005, 9:50 PM
I have found the best product for removing wax can be found at your automotive paint store. I have always called it "acrylic-clean" but there are other names for "prep-solv" cleaner. Automotive spray places always have to wipe down the surfaces to remove wax and silicone prior to painting. it works great

lou

Sammy Shuford
05-20-2005, 6:44 PM
I used denatured alcohol and scrubbed the project several times, each time with a clean rag. Seemed to work fine, at least the new finish looks great!