PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table

Mark Ketelsen
06-04-2013, 7:08 PM
Walnut with rosewood butterflies.

Jim Rimmer
06-05-2013, 1:15 PM
I'm not a fan of live edges but that is a gorgeous table. Nice craftsmanship and great design.

The live edge does cast some interesting shadows, though. :)

Prashun Patel
06-05-2013, 1:46 PM
Really great table! I'm a BIG fan of live edge done right (as if I'm any kind of authority :o). I've been thinking about putting the LE on the center as you've done. I think it's a great combination of elegant and organic.

Am I right in thinking this is inspired by FWW's "Float the Top" hall table?

What was your finishing schedule? Looks like you added some color to the walnut.

glenn bradley
06-05-2013, 2:01 PM
How fun. I really like the "floating" top design.

gary Zimmel
06-05-2013, 2:10 PM
One more thumbs up... Well done Mark.

Gordon Eyre
06-05-2013, 2:59 PM
The side view is elegant and yet you have nicely incorporated a live edge plank for the top. I am impressed and yet I don't know I would have thought of using it in that manner. I like it and think you have crafted a unique and beautiful piece.

Pat Barry
06-05-2013, 8:36 PM
Thats an interesting concept for the live edge, but in my house the inevitable table runner will cover it all up.

Jeff Monson
06-06-2013, 8:22 AM
Very nice Mark, I really like floating top tables as well as live edge, you did both very well.

Mark Valsi
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Very elegant design, and great craftsmanship ! Good Job !

Dale Osowski
06-07-2013, 9:25 PM
I like it, looks fantastic!

Mark Ketelsen
06-14-2013, 1:06 PM
Am I right in thinking this is inspired by FWW's "Float the Top" hall table?

What was your finishing schedule?

Yes - inspired by FWW artical.

Finishing: I had lots of difficulty getting an accurate color representation in the photo of the top because of reflected light. (I should take it outside on a cloudy day and try again.) The side photo is more representative of the actual color. Top is a richer brown than the photo shows, with lots of great contract around the crotch (by the way, this is a single board not two boards). Here is another table made from the same flitch using the same finishing schedule with more accurate colors:

The finishing schedule sounds more complicated than it is. It's a Jeff Jewitt formula, and I've used it for years with good results:

1) golden brown Transtint dye (1/2 oz : 1qt water which is 1/2 the normal concentration)
2) garnet shellac (2# cut)

3) home-made glaze (1/4 C BLO + 1/4 C gel varnish + artists oils: 1/2 t vandyke brown, 1/2 t burnt umber, 1/4 t deep azo red) brush on, wipe off.
4) Waterlox Original rubbed out w/ 0000 steelwool and Bison Wax.

John TenEyck
06-14-2013, 4:22 PM
Walnut? I did a double take. It looks like cherry to me. But it's beautiful no matter what wood it is. That's a unique take on using live edges. Turned to the center like that it appeals to me more than most live edge tables. Very well crafted and finished.

John

Gus Dundon
06-14-2013, 4:56 PM
I love the authenticity and simplicity you have achieved with this piece. Really well designed and made.

James White
06-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes - inspired by FWW artical.

Finishing: I had lots of difficulty getting an accurate color representation in the photo of the top because of reflected light. (I should take it outside on a cloudy day and try again.) The side photo is more representative of the actual color. Top is a richer brown than the photo shows, with lots of great contract around the crotch (by the way, this is a single board not two boards). Here is another table made from the same flitch using the same finishing schedule with more accurate colors:

The finishing schedule sounds more complicated than it is. It's a Jeff Jewitt formula, and I've used it for years with good results:

1) golden brown Transtint dye (1/2 oz : 1qt water which is 1/2 the normal concentration)
2) garnet shellac (2# cut)

3) home-made glaze (1/4 C BLO + 1/4 C gel varnish + artists oils: 1/2 t vandyke brown, 1/2 t burnt umber, 1/4 t deep azo red) brush on, wipe off.
4) Waterlox Original rubbed out w/ 0000 steelwool and Bison Wax.

Nice work!

Are the two dark areas around the big knots filled? What did you fill with and did it shrink any after finishing? I have used tinted epoxy like this. But after about a month it shrank some and is a slight depression. Not unacceptable. But I would like to improve this.

James

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Elegant, very beautiful and incredibly unique! I like it! Well done Sir!

Matt Meiser
06-20-2013, 1:00 PM
Very cool!

Mark Ketelsen
06-20-2013, 2:36 PM
Nice work!

Are the two dark areas around the big knots filled? What did you fill with and did it shrink any after finishing? I have used tinted epoxy like this. But after about a month it shrank some ...

These voids were filled with System Three MirrorCoat epoxy. This epoxy marketed as a "bar top finish" and is formulated to have a very long working time once mixed. This is so it will have time to completely level itself when poured on a large surface (like a bar top). This property was great for this application, because there was a network of voids in the wood, and the epoxy was able to seep through and saturate the inards of the slab which enhanced the structural integrity.

I masked checks, knots, etc. on the bottom surface and then poured MirrorCoat into the major voids on the top surface until they were filled. I thought I was done, but when I looked 15 minutes later, the voids were half empty. I had to add epoxy several more times over the course of the next couple of hours. This epoxy takes a good 24 hours to cure and I found that even longer is better before using a cabinet scraper or sandpaper. The table is a few years old now and there has been no shrinkage or other issues.

marty shultz
08-23-2013, 7:00 PM
Very nice table. You did a great job!