PDA

View Full Version : Roubo: Traditional or Benchcrafted?

Maurice Ungaro
06-04-2013, 3:36 PM
If anyone has had experience with both types, please provide your input. Other than that, I'm sure there is no shortage of opinions! Kind of just wondering if one design is inherently more versitile than the other. Only plus I can see for the Benchcrafted Slpit Top design is that it "could" be disassembled for that inevitable moving day (given the use of their bench bolts).

Doug Ladendorf
06-04-2013, 4:11 PM
Are you asking solid top vs. split top? You can do either with Benchcrafted hardware. Single slab just harder to juggle. :)

While the split top may be more versatile I like a solid top with holes for dogs and other devices/jigs. There is a video series on Fine Woodworking's site for a Roubo bench made to break down using wedged tenons.

Tony Shea
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I ended up getting the Benchcrafted barrel bolts for my leg assemblies on the my Roubo as they were the perfect size for my legs. They have absolutely paid for themselves. I ended up having to move my bench and it now sits in a second floor bedroom in my apartment. It was built in a basement as this is where I was living when I decided to build it. I knew the idea of moving was coming down the road therefore needed a knock down system. The barrel bolts were perfect with my stub mortise and tenon joinery. It holds up incredibly ridgid and once in a great while I cinch the bolts down a bit if I think about it. But it never comes up that my bench starts wobbling and I think I need to tighten the bolts, it's just something I do after I bend down to grab something and think "maybe I should check how tight the bolts are."

I built my top all in one piece, no split top for me. I have been very happy with the top as well, although I kinda wish it was hard maple once in a while opposed to Doug fir. But it has been fine and is easier to get flat than hard maple. There was no reason for me to build a split top, 25" wide bench fits anywhere I need to to go through doorways and whatnot. It went up my basement balco doors fine and went up a flight of stairs with a tight narrow door at the top. The bench is 7ft long and still was able to manage fine.

Christopher Charles
06-05-2013, 1:10 PM
I was just talking with a friend who built a traditional Roubo. His leg vise is sticky in operation because the legs warped after assembly. A knock-down base would be much more straight forward to disassemble and realign by replaning the face and trimming the mortise, etc.

I also could not imagine not being able to break down a bench, but I've also moved many times in the past. Given the quality and relatively low cost of the bench bolts that are available, I can see why not unless you have a strong desire for a purely traditional bench.

Hope that helps,
C

Bob Jones
06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Solid top for me. Easy to flatten by hand and no supports needed below. IMHO

Matt ONeill
06-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I built the benchcrafted roubo a few years ago, and I've got no complaints.. One thing I really like about the split top is the ability to slide drawers around the end and clamp them with the wagon vise for finish planing.

See here (http://brokenfingerswoodworking.tumblr.com/post/6094544166/split-top-clamping) for more details.

- Matt

Christopher Charles
06-06-2013, 1:41 AM
That's brilliant and a trick I haven't seen yet!

As an aside, did you attach the tops to the base using screws or are they held simply with the leg tenons?

Thanks,
Chris C.

Jack Curtis
06-06-2013, 4:11 PM
That's brilliant and a trick I haven't seen yet!

As an aside, did you attach the tops to the base using screws or are they held simply with the leg tenons?...

Me, either. Cool.

As to attachments, Chris, they don't matter in this set up, don't even enter the equation since the drawer/vise are outside the right legs.

Matt ONeill
06-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I've got the two top slabs attached with huge spax screws.. Probably not necessary, but they came with the kit so I figured I may as well use them.

- Matt

Maurice Ungaro
06-10-2013, 8:08 AM
Well, the more I think about it, and from recommendations, it looks like a solid top for me. Now, as for the base - twin through tenons, or non-through stubs? The Lord knows I'm a traditionalist, and it may be my downfall, but portability has its merits.

Erik Christensen
06-10-2013, 6:18 PM
I have a bencrafted solid top shaker style but i built it with wheels (each caster is rated at 900#) so if moving day ever comes it will get wheeled to the truck. I have been using it for 6 months now and have yet to regret the solid top.

Maurice Ungaro
06-10-2013, 7:44 PM
Erik, the heavy duty wheels are a great option! As for the tenons in the solid top, our resident saw maker, Ron Bontz, has notified me that my 18" tenon saw is nearing completion. It has at least 4.5" inches under the spine, so, looks like I'll be making through tenons! I'd hate to not use a tool like that.