PDA

View Full Version : Patio Table finished...I can't lift the top

Mark Singer
05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Well 12 hours in total and we are done...No finish, I will let this weather..
It was a perfect project for Mike to experience woodworking....he seems to be smiling in the photo...Nothing to complicated here. Good strong joints to hold the 700 pound stone top. The one orange strecher is Paduck....I ran out of Mahagany... There is a "shadow" detail so the top appears to float. On simple designs the details are very important. I epoxied the end grain and installed plastic feet ...this way it doesn't sit in water

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Water? It doesn't rain in California does it? :p :D Everyone keeps telling me how dry it is here and it seems like a normal mid-west spring so far - wet, wet, wet!

Seriously, Mark it looks great. Once you get that slab on there, it's going to look fantastic. The floating look is going to be a real nice detail as well.

Now about Mike smiling while he sands, haven't you told him that sanding isn't fun and that there is absolutely no smiling permitted while sanding :D It must be the brand of sander he's using :p

Jeff Sudmeier
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Mark,

The table looks great so far! I really like the shadow line. As you said, this is a simple project, yet that small detail has set it apart.

John Miliunas
05-19-2005, 1:02 PM
Well Mark, if you could lift the top by yourself, I'd have to say you're on the wrong forum!:) Mike does indeed look like he's having fun. And why not? He had great equipment to work with and an awesome instructor!:) Can't wait to see it our there overlooking that beautiful backdrop!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
05-19-2005, 3:40 PM
Here she is in place....It really feels like it belongs which is always the big question...fits the top well...myself and 2 shleppers and we did it!

Corey Hallagan
05-19-2005, 3:56 PM
Mark, that is a stunning piece! So is the view, you have a beautiful place. Nice work!

Corey

Mike Vermeil
05-19-2005, 4:07 PM
As usual Mark, another really nice piece!

Now, how can I get that view here in AZ?

Effie Lever
05-19-2005, 4:20 PM
Beautiful peace, with all those pounds I’m sure the top is not going anywhere, but is it attached to the wood or just resting on it?

John Miliunas
05-19-2005, 5:11 PM
So why am I NOT surprised?:) Looks stunning, Mark, and one certainly can't get tired of the views you have! Congrats to you and Mike...Job well done!:) :cool:

Scott Coffelt
05-19-2005, 5:22 PM
Simple yet eligant, I like it alot.

Byron Trantham
05-19-2005, 5:25 PM
Mark, I really like the feel of the piece. Very inviting...

Jim Becker
05-19-2005, 6:00 PM
Excellent, Mark! Really looks great on that patio and once it weathers, it will look like it "grew there"!!! Mazel Tov!

Richard Wolf
05-19-2005, 6:22 PM
I was under the impression that you built this for yourself not some rich movie star that lived in a big house overlooking the valley. Hard to believe how some live, huh. LOL
Let me guess, you have a beautiful wife that loves to cook.
Very nice looking table.

Richard

John Hart
05-19-2005, 6:29 PM
Really nice table Mark. I like the view too. So, is Mike hooked yet? I woulda used Shlamaca instead of Padauk...but that's me......Wait! that's you!!!!:D

Mark Singer
05-19-2005, 7:03 PM
Yeah she makes a mean Shlamaca pasta....Aye que rico! ....as John Hart always says....:confused:
I was under the impression that you built this for yourself not some rich movie star that lived in a big house overlooking the valley. Hard to believe how some live, huh. LOL
Let me guess, you have a beautiful wife that loves to cook.
Very nice looking table.

Richard

John Cavanaugh
05-19-2005, 7:03 PM
Here she is in place....It really feels like it belongs which is always the big question...fits the top well...myself and 2 shleppers and we did it!

Boy thats a beautiful table to go along with a beautiful view...

--
John Cavanaugh

Mark Singer
05-19-2005, 8:00 PM
another pic.....

Jerry Clark
05-19-2005, 9:14 PM
Great job Mark-- beautiful!:) Love the view also.