PDA

View Full Version : New Old Lathe.... how did I do....

Wilson Revelle
06-04-2013, 1:46 AM
Ok... so I am kinda new to all this.. in fact 6 months ago if you asked me to cut a piece of pine I would have told you to go see someone else. I was so scared of wood that it saw me coming and said "HA!!! He is gonna have to come back and buy another piece." Well..... In a fit of crazy, and as a way to help fight my medical condition, I decided to no longer fear wood. Anyway to make a long story shorter, 6 months ago I had a circular saw... today I have: Circular,2 Band, Table, 2 Scroll, 2 Reciprocating, Jig saws a BUNCH of Sand paper, stains, paints, Table Belt Sander and a plethora of other wood tools.... and now have added the LATHE! well... I got the lathe and 8 lathe tools, Duplicator and 21 pieces, varying sizes, of hard wood (oak, Maple, I think, Mahogany and some other wood I cant ID) for $180. The tools are Craftsman and in ok shape. I already had an 8 piece set from Harbor Freight. I was playing with a Mini Lathe that I got from... Harbor Freight... but when I found out that the chuck was not going to be available for the Mini until August, I took it back and purchased this one off Craig's List. I guess I got three questions that are bugging me:

1. It did not come with any faceplates.... sooooo.... I have the standard spindle ends (sorry... dont know all the language yet) and thats about it. I have been unable to find anything online about making my own faceplates other than ones that need to have a chuck involved. I dont have the $100 plus dollars to invest in a chuck and was wondering what is stopping me from making my own Faceplates? I have a welding machine and know how to use it and figure that the main thing is balance and center. I am lucky to live in an area where steel is EVERYWHERE and they make steel plates in all sizes that I can drill holes in and balance for center. I know the size of the nut that I need, 3/4 in. soooo all I really need to do is make the freaking plate. I am drawn to asking you pros before destroying my lathe trying to make my own.

2. How did I do on my purchase?

3. Just how deep is this "Vortex" that seems to be sucking me down?

Thanks ahead of time for the help :)263735263736263737263738

John Keeton
06-04-2013, 5:59 AM
Wilson, welcome to the creek! Glad you are interested in turning and looks like even a bit of carving. On your purchase, in my opinion you may have paid a bit much for a Craftsman tubular lathe - even with the throw ins of the tools and wood. Typically, they are around $50, or so. But, if it helps you get started, then that is good. I would suggest you slow down a little and research some prior to purchasing additional tools, and I would not put much additional money into accessories for it. It might be best to save toward an upgrade. The accessories for a lathe can easily exceed the cost of the lathe, and many may not be usable on another lathe due to size, threading, etc.

Rex Guinn
06-04-2013, 9:28 AM
Have you thought about getting a tap the same as the threads on the lathe spindle and making a wooden faceplate. I do that and it works great.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2013, 9:45 AM
Wilson - I taught myself how to turn on an old Craftsman mono-tube that was a lot older than this - so this lathe will work just fine to see if turning is something you want to jump into.

Instead of figuring out how to make a faceplate - I highly recommend you visit your local turning club and get some instructions on turning first. You can find a club near you by clicking this link - Turning Clubs (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp). Your lathe is primarily designed for spindle work... and a faceplate is usually used for bowls. While your lathe will turn a bowl, the speeds available to you makes the process challenging. Get with some fellow turners, they can help you learn how to use your lathe and how to do so safely.

Have fun!

Wilson Revelle
06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Well some how I knew I would screw something up.... This lathe was the only one on craigs list that was within my budget.... all the others in the area started at $500 and came with nothing other than the lathe. As for the local turning club they moved their meeting place from local, 1 mile away, to 30 miles away. Other clubs in the state are hours away. So getting involved there might be a problem because of distance and gas. As for the price of the lathe... well.. I had done some research and found that most of the people selling this lathe were at $150 or more. Though I was getting a good deal. Alas thats how my life works out. Live an learn they say... I live and get burned.... thanks for the input.

Thom Sturgill
06-04-2013, 10:17 AM
If the club used to meet 1 mile away, that would indicate that at least some turners are close to you. Go to the club at least long enough to get acquainted with a few and maybe hook up with a local turner.

allan kuntz
06-04-2013, 6:07 PM
Welcome to the vortex Find some one cutting down a tree and Google turning and practice practice practice
Wooden face plates are easy to make just get the right size tap for your spindle
Have fun

Al

Tim Leiter
06-04-2013, 6:55 PM
Welcome Wilson. Don't beat yourself up on the cost of the lathe. Listen to Keaton and Schlumpf, they are very experienced. I don't think that is a bad price at all and it will introduce you into turning to see if you like it. Either make yourself a wooden faceplate as suggested and get the correct tap or keep looking. You should be able to find an inexpensive faceplate, if you want, just search for the size you need and see what pops up...............Tim.

Brian Kent
06-05-2013, 2:19 PM
I checked out my local Craigslist and yours is a pretty good price for the set. I know features that cost more than $150!

And yes, make your own plate.