PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on selecting a Chinese enclosed laser that can fit 62" wide materials

Moss Gallo1
06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Gentlemen,

Excellent forum. I have read through every thread related to Chinese lasers, fume scrubbers and cutting materials that emit chlorine.

Background: I am a cut & sew gear/apparel designer. I'm expanding my business to offer fabric laser cutting services for my clients. I would like to grow an additional customer base for engraving wood, plastic and marble to diversify income during the ups and downs of the apparel side of my business. I have been sending out the cutting work to others over the last two years (they use eurolaser & iLaserMarker). I have directly worked with Universal lasers and recently a Chinese made iLaserMarker CMA-1610 100W.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a cost effective laser that has the following:

Budget of $15k for the laser (not including shipping but would be great if I could get it to my doorstep for under $15k).
Air tight enclosed cutting area (material I will be cutting has neoprene and creates hazardous hydrogen chloride gas).
Width to fit 62" wide material (I will be cutting neoprene coated nylon fabrics similar to what is used on zodiac boats and river rafting, regular nylon, poly and cotton fabrics).
Engrave and cut (I am willing to sacrifice cutting & engraving speed by using an 80W laser to be able to engrave materials like wood and marble to help diversify my avenues for revenue).
Solid network of users in USA and good manufacturing customer support.
The laser will go in my detached garage workshop in Dallas, TX (has a large wall mounted AC unit).
Ability to vent gases into a fume scrubber/exhaust system.
Optional - Dual laser heads.

Things I learned from reading the excellent posts on this forum (Please correct me if I'm wrong):

An 80W laser would allow me to be able to cut and engrave.
It is possible to make a cost effective fume scrubber.
Cutting materials that emit chlorine can rust/break a laser quickly (You need to coat the laser parts exposes to the gas. I am not clear on what these protective coatings are or how to apply them).
The edges on the wide lasers may not cut as clean as they do in the center of the cutting area because the laser output is reduced on the edges of wide laser beds (learned this from my current subcontractor using an iLaserMarker CMA-1610 100W).
Order spare parts for everything that could break.
Pay the extra money for the upgraded cooling system.
Buying Chinese can be a filled with may issues and delays but well worth it for the price savings on a lasers from solid manufacturers.
Shenhui has great support but can be troublesome from order to doorstep (demand lots of pictures during build and prior to shipment).
Weike has ok support and used to be a smooth process from order to doorstep with their old sales rep.
Use a shipping agent/broker.

I would like to buy a Shenhui but cannot find a laser that they offer with an airtight enclosed cutting area that is wide enough to fit my fabric (62" wide).

Thank you for reading

Rodne Gold
06-04-2013, 2:56 AM
Hiya Moss
You need to skype a Rep from one of the companies , I like Shenui and their sales rep , Blanca Yan is on skype all the time , Blanca610616 , she can answer your queries and I did see roll to roll fabric cutting lasers there. I think the G. Weike skype person is Lucy , gweikelaser on skype.

In all probability , you can get 2 lasers for your money , a 1600 x 1200 for your 1550 wide material (i'm sure they can build one for you , they do offer an enclosed 1500x1200) 120-150W laser for cutting and a 600 x900 80w for engraving/other duty... alltogether with shipping, should be less than $15k...

Dual laser heads are nice , but I wouldn't definitely go for it , it means dual tubes and will effectively halve the width of what you can cut , if your 62" wide stuff has lots of small parts , well then maybe....will also require more fiddle , ask George Perzel bout dual heads..he has one from Shenui..he seems quite happy

I have cut neoprene (wetsuit material) and there don't seem to be anywhere near the level of toxic fumes compared to PVC, but it is a chlorine product.....

At the end of it all , the best protection is to have an extremely strong evacuation system , you can't have a completely airtight enclosure with this as it needs to draw in fresh air somewhere.
I recon spraying something like wd40 (silicone free) or coating with light machine oil will protect parts ...the chlorine itself isn't the culprit , it's when it combines with moisture in the air and forms Hcl that's the issue.

Your biggest problem is going to be holding the material flat and in a constant plane to the nozzle , not sure what solution the mnfgrs will offer you for this ..

There is a good network of chinese laser users here , I have had excellent tech support from Shenui and a lot of us use their machines ,However, G weike seems reputable too so I think it's more of a coin toss tween em and G Weike , deal with the co your gut feels says to do...
I repeat , you MUST use skype , using mail for initial conversations is time consuming etc..if you skype em , it's the same as talking to them in real time , actually phoning them is futile , most chinese can skype english but they cannot talk it intelligibly .... but it speeds up things and gives you instant answers compared to mail .. they can send you manuals , pics quotes and files on skype.

Good luck

john banks
06-04-2013, 7:13 AM
GS lasers will take material on a roll and feed it, I saw one in Nottingham, UK, but it was more than $15k in a good size which is why we didn't buy it, but they were well geared up to material work. May or may not be worth it to you, but could hold the material and save time for multiples? Sorry I missed the comment about roll to roll above.

Also edit to say, made in china website I think effectively has a Shenhui catalogue. I wish we'd seen it before ordering, but we just had to go back and forth with the rep to describe what we wanted and narrow it down.

shenhuilaser.en.made-in-china.com

Dan Hintz
06-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I have cut neoprene (wetsuit material) and there don't seem to be anywhere near the level of toxic fumes compared to PVC, but it is a chlorine product.....

PVC (the big no no) is almost pure H-Cl bonds... neoprene has a single Chlorine atom hanging off of the molecule. As you've found, cutting neoprene isn't very bad. Cutting PVC is pretty much changing an entire mass of material into nasty stuff just waiting to destroy unprotected metal (and lungs).

Moss Gallo1
06-05-2013, 6:36 PM
Rodney, John, Dan,

Thank you for your time and advice.

Rodney,

I think it's an excellent idea to get two machines. The big deciding factor will be $$. From readying other posts I see that it would cost me close to the same to ship two machines as it would one. This would also allow me to increase my quality by having specialized machines instead of one that needs to do everything.

I've started talking with Weike and Shenui reps. I'll keep posting with updates.