PDA

View Full Version : Norris 51

Mark Baldwin III
06-03-2013, 9:35 PM
This showed up today. If it wasn't for several broken bones and my inability to walk at the moment, there would be shavings already. Another thing to look forward to when I'm back on my feet!

Bill Houghton
06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, that's sure one way to motivate yourself to do the physical therapy, once you get out of your casts.

David Weaver
06-04-2013, 7:04 AM
That looks like an excellent clean smoother. Very nice.

Chris Griggs
06-04-2013, 8:21 AM
That's a sweet looking plane. I see that Norris plane has an LV style adjuster ;).

Sorry to hear you're laid up. Hope you heal quickly.

Mark Baldwin III
06-04-2013, 8:30 AM
My skills don't really warrant owning something like this. So, I will admit that this purchase was made in the realm of collecting. I needed something to make myself feel a little better after having been laid up the past two months. I had a pretty serious crash back in April, and I've been itching to get back to normal.
Anywho, this plane shows no abuse. It has honest wear, and was obviously well cared for during its life. On the right side of the plane under the iron, the wood is worn from the previous owner's index finger during use. I like tools in this condition. They are more attractive to me than the "mint" condition stuff. Mainly because there is a tangible connection to the past.
This has been one of those rare occasions where I dropped some serious dime for something on a whim and didn't feel any buyer's remorse!

Mike Allen1010
06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Mark, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Your Norris looks awesome and I can't wait to see some shaving pics, when you're feeling up to it!

All the best, Mike

Jim Koepke
06-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Nice looking plane.

May you be feeling better soon.

jtk

Bill Fleming
06-04-2013, 4:29 PM
Mark

I too wish you a speedy recovery.... and of course at least enough soon enough to start playing with that new toy!

Cheers - Bill

don wilwol
06-04-2013, 4:54 PM
If holding that plane doesn't make you feel better, I'm not sure what will.

Mark Baldwin III
06-04-2013, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the will wishes guys. I've spent a good chunk of my time researching projects and doing a bit of shopping. Rehab is going alright, and I want to get back to being productive ASAP.
I also want to take my first shavings with one of the best hand planes ever made!

Jim Belair
06-04-2013, 7:53 PM
Nice looking plane. I like the connections with previous owner(s) also.

And absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself something to make you feel better.