PDA

View Full Version : Splitter for a T/S

Ken Kirkeby
05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
After reading a recent forum thread, what are some splitter options for my Jet contractor T/S? Is the MJ the best?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Biesemeyer also makes a splitter that is not as easily removed, however it is a larger splitter and has anti-kickback pawls built into it. Most who get the one with the pawls remove the left hand side one, but the right one could theoretically stop a kickback.

John Miliunas
05-19-2005, 1:24 PM
Ken, on my current saw, I'm using the Biesemeyer splitter, which I find to be super. It's extremely easy to get on/off, durable and really helps a lot to keep that kerf from closing in on you. I am one of the few people who removed one or both of the pawls on the unit. That was mainly for crosscuts when using some type of miter device w/stop; Depending on the wood, the pawls would scratch the surface of my cut piece. Previously, I used to make my own, integrated right into a zero clearance insert. Depending on if you use full or thin kerf blades, real simple to make (using your original metal insert for a guide) and cheap! Lots of folks use the stub end of a matching drill bit size for a splitter.:) You also mention MJ; Lots of positive reviews on that, as well. I'm not sure if there's one to fit the Jet, but another brand out there is the Merlin. Haven't seen too much about that one, though. Good luck in your quest!:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
05-19-2005, 1:32 PM
I only have experience with the MJ splitter. I can tell you that it is easy to instal (see post #4 in the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17642), cheap, and good!

Tim Morton
05-19-2005, 1:54 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Delta removable splitter...I believe it is almost identical to the biesemeyer spliter but runs about a third the cost. The install instrcutions are identical FWIW. I have one and it works GREAT!!